Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2004, 05:08 PM

Default Re: Adrian Beltre is a Mariner

Their pitching is not top notch but they are young enough that it will be soon. I think the Front office was fairly pleased with the performance of a lot of guys. Madritsch etc. Pinero will be a stud. He just needs some run support. I am glad that they finally ponied up big money for a big name.
Old 12-16-2004, 05:11 PM

Isn't anyone suspicious of Beltre? I mean, for the last 5 years he showed promise but would desperately suck for months at a time in LA, then he has his one good year in his <gasp> contract year? I don't want to be a downer, but I wouldn't be expecting 04 years all the time. Look at his career? I know he's young, but he was basically like a 250, 20 70 guy his first 5 years.
Old 12-16-2004, 05:12 PM

Those 116 wins in 2001 just didn't do it for ya? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-16-2004, 05:17 PM

I should have said "the front office". Actually the Reed/Olivo trade was pretty good too...

Yeah, the Dodgers not matching $12 million smacks of their front office not having faith in Beltre. Their position is probably because Beltre was a career-long underachiever who didn't "get it together" until his contract year, he probably isn't worth the investment. Also, Paul DePodesta is in charge there, and his Moneyball philosophy might clash with paying Beltre that much when he figures he can get a cheaper, solid replacement and redirect that money towards trading for and then signing someone like Tim Hudson to a longterm deal. The Dodgers better get some type of bat though, or else they'll be faced with more B.S. like 2003, when they had trouble putting up even four runs in a game.

5 yrs $65M
Old 12-16-2004, 05:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Isn't anyone suspicious of Beltre? I mean, for the last 5 years he showed promise but would desperately suck for months at a time in LA, then he has his one good year in his <gasp> contract year? I don't want to be a downer, but I wouldn't be expecting 04 years all the time. Look at his career? I know he's young, but he was basically like a 250, 20 70 guy his first 5 years.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's only 25. He didn't recover well from surgery when he had that botched appendectomy a few years back, and I remember reading last year that he said he didn't feel back to full strength until last season.

Remember as well that his 1999 and 2000 seasons, he was only 19 and 20 those years. There are few guys who have come up that young, that have been able to put up lines like that at that age. Same goes for the minor leagues, he was tearing those up at a very young age.

I think he's well worth the risk for the next 5 years.
Old 12-16-2004, 05:27 PM

Sure, it scares the crap out me. The Ms are spending a lot of money and, unlike the Yankees, can't undo massive spending mistakes. If either Beltre or Sexon really underperform they are screwed. They had a difficult time recovering form Jeff Cirillo and they only owed that guy like 6 million.

On the positive side, he did play half his games at Dodger Stadium. I think it's actually worse to hit in than Safeco. The other big thing is that he is 25. Most players best years are between about 27 - 31. Also, he was the top fielding 3B in the majors last year.

I don't think anyone can expect 04 numbers, but .290 30 110 and great defense at 3rd would be just fine.
Old 12-16-2004, 05:28 PM

Every year I expected him to blow up...so I'm suspicious when a player finally does in his contract year.

Good luck with him though. You guys need Piniella back.
Old 12-16-2004, 05:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I should have said "the front office". Actually the Reed/Olivo trade was pretty good too...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, just bustin' yer balls.

Last year's off season moves were brutal. I really thought the same thing was going to happen this year.

I still can't believe that they spent this kind of money. Bavasi has to be in heaven.