Old 08-31-2005, 01:31 PM

Default Re: The Greatest Novel of the 20th Century

Ulysses by Joyce.
Old 08-31-2005, 01:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ulysses by Joyce.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yup. While many people are posting their favorites, no one can refute Ulysses as the most important work of this past century. Far more qualified people than our resident "experts" on OOT have almost unanimously declared this book #1.
Old 08-31-2005, 01:59 PM

You are none too bright. This is a thread soliciting opinions. And the group think in the conservative literary establishment is almost as enormous as that at the RNC.

But let me guess, you are now going to claim to have read Ulysses, right?

How does one become qualified? Get literary degrees? Write books? Write criticism? Read?

Shutup already you elitist little prick.

Many people can refute Ulysses as the most important work of this past century. Many people have, and many people will continue to do so.

Is "Greatest" the "most influential on the literary establishment?" Seems like a pretty constrictive definition there, friend.
Old 08-31-2005, 02:04 PM

I thought Catch 22 was good for the 1st half and unbearable for the second.
Old 08-31-2005, 02:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You are none too bright. This is a thread soliciting opinions.

[/ QUOTE ]
Wow, thanks for the hostility. If it were solicting opinions it would ask for your favorite novel of the 20th century or one that influenced/inspired you the most.
[ QUOTE ]

But let me guess, you are now going to claim to have read Ulysses, right?
How does one become qualified? Get literary degrees? Write books? Write criticism? Read?

[/ QUOTE ]
I have read sections of the novel and I don't claim to understand everything about it, but in claiming that it's the greatest I'm not stating my OPINION, but rather a widely held stance by most reputable literary critics.
And these critics got to the position of having their opinions listened to because they know what they're talking about.
Literary and art criticism are not as subjecive as most people think. Obviously critics are in turn criticized for having the"ivory tower" mindset, but there is a reason why they can claim one pice of work better than the other.
[ QUOTE ]

Shutup already you elitist little prick.

[/ QUOTE ]
You just hurt your argument here buddy. Responding with unfounded personal animostiy to this situation? You're just an ass.
Old 08-31-2005, 02:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Literary and art criticism are not as subjecive as most people think.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I was the sort of person who could roll on the floor and laugh my ass off, I would be doing it now. Instead I'll just nod my head a little sadly, and encourage you to read more than excerpts. And maybe talk to one of those crazy "literary" critics about subjectivity. And its absolute nature.
Old 08-31-2005, 02:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have read sections of the novel and I don't claim to understand everything about it, but in claiming that it's the greatest I'm not stating my OPINION, but rather a widely held stance by most reputable literary critics.
And these critics got to the position of having their opinions listened to because they know what they're talking about.
Literary and art criticism are not as subjecive as most people think.

[/ QUOTE ]

sorry man, you're catching a lot of heat here, but this might be the saddest thing I have ever heard anyone say.

aside from your stance on life and art, um, TONS of qualified critics can refute Ulysses. Which literary community are you listening to, the modernists, the postmodernists? the writers themselves? the professional essaysists? professors?

Take the elliot's Wasteland as an example. Many modernists view it as the greatest poetic accomplishment in the history of the english language. Meanwhile one who is more postmodernly inclined might call it forced, contrived and stilted (no thread hijacks please, if anyone wants to discuss the merits of the wasteland, we can do so in the other thread)

they are opinions, and if the effort and thought and background has been put in to their development, then they are valid.

what a way to go through life, sheesh.
Old 08-31-2005, 02:04 PM

"The Greatest" threads are kind of vague, well they are to me anyways. I guess they could be more specifically titled, like "The most influential X and why" or whatever, they often do seem to turn into favorites threads, which is still pretty interesting.

Ulysses is definitly one of my favorite books of all time as well, and I still don't understand close to all of it after reading it several times. Just reread Portrait too, not nearly as intense or perfectly crafted but a great read.
Old 08-31-2005, 02:08 PM

Finnegans Wake got me. One of my many regrets from undergrad, before I become overly specialized in my present pursuits, was not taking a Joyce class on offer, from an absolutely excellent professor, that would have at least partially unlocked this complex and compelling, though ultimately too confounding, work for me.