Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2005, 10:36 PM

Default Re: A Modest Proposal

I'd love to do this but I'm only a .05/.10 and I'd spend more on a stamp than the money in the check : /

When I move up limits count me in!
Old 08-08-2005, 10:45 PM

I have faith in you, Doc.

To the OP: an extremely nice idea. No offence, but how will you keep contributors confident that it's not a scam?

Personally I feel that donations to charity are a moral duty that should best be carried out quietly, but if this idea gets people to donate more than they otherwise would to worthy causes then that's great.
Old 08-08-2005, 11:10 PM

This sounds exciting - we could all pick a charity (red cross tsunami relief? surfaid is a good one too) - perhaps picking one that has an online facility so we each could deposit our 1hrs worth ourself and post it as an aggregate...I'd prefer to not just send someone a neteller transfer, but to rather send it to the charity directly.

I'm definitely down though. If this doesn't happen I'll do it on my own.

Great idea - I'm definitely bummed, though, because I expected hilarity from a title that refers to jonathon swift's satirical work.

Surf
Old 08-08-2005, 11:24 PM

Doc, thanks for the enthusiasm; we'll be around when you are ready I'm sure.

jtr, that's a valid concern and I'm not sure how it can be resolved. Any suggestions? I agree wholeheartedly with the second half of your response; be assured that the intention here is compassion, not recognition.

Surfbullit, that's a good idea. I wonder how many charities are set up for that.
Old 08-09-2005, 12:06 AM

Thats the first thing i noticed

[ QUOTE ]
I shall now therefore humbly propose my own thoughts, which I hope will not be liable to the least objection.

I have been assured by a very knowing American of my acquaintance in London, that a young healthy child well nursed is at a year old a most delicious, nourishing, and wholesome food, whether stewed, roasted, baked, or boiled; and I make no doubt that it will equally serve in a fricassee or a ragout.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Those who are more thrifty (as I must confess the times require) may flay the carcass; the skin of which artificially dressed will make admirable gloves for ladies, and summer boots for fine gentlemen.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
...and butchers we may be assured will not be wanting; although I rather recommend buying the children alive, and dressing them hot from the knife, as we do roasting pigs.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Supposing that one thousand families in this city, would be constant customers for infants flesh, besides others who might have it at merry meetings, particularly at weddings and christenings,

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-09-2005, 08:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Personally I feel that donations to charity are a moral duty that should best be carried out quietly

[/ QUOTE ]

What I've been praciticing for the past few months is coming up with a percentage and at the end of every week or MTT finish, I contribute that % to charity. If I have a break even or down week, I just don't comtribute anything. I don't go to church, I just consider this a tithe to humanity, and pick a new charity every week. Im a 100NL and STT player, so I'm not going to be getting any buildings named after me. I think of it this way, I play online, so whatever I would be tipping a dealer at a B+M, I set aside for charity. Also, by being constantly aware of those less fortunate than us, I feel like it actually makes me a better poker player by avoiding tilt. I mean, when you know that last week you sent money to a charity because there are millions of women and children starving in Africa, it makes losing 5 buyins seem pretty trivial in comparison. I know it seems a bit movie-of-the-week, but we bitch and moan about bad beats and being dealt bad cards while some people were born in to circumstances we can only imagine. By keeping charity in the back of your mind, and keeping things in perspective, it will not only allow you to help out your fellow man, but also become a better poker player.
Old 08-09-2005, 01:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd prefer to not just send someone a neteller transfer, but to rather send it to the charity directly.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont think I would be willing to do anything but send this to the charity directly.
Old 08-09-2005, 01:47 PM

Agreed, Ishmael. Check your PMs you'll find the following:

Based on Surfbullet’s suggestion, I did a little cursory research on the Charities that I am interested in and found that roughly 50% of them allow for online donations, usually in the form of a credit card payment. I would think that the same percentage would hold for organizations that you would like to support as well.

I am not sure if credit card/debit card is the ideal method for most of you; while Neteller direct would be optimal, it is primarily a gambler’s platform and well, no charities obviously accept it. Hopefully this is fine since it eliminates the need for one of us to be collector and dispenser of the contibutions.
Old 08-09-2005, 02:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There are others of course, and I certainly have not analyzed the above enough to determine their suitability.

[/ QUOTE ]

A lot of charities care about taking care of those in charge of the charity moreso than being charitable. Or at least that's how it would seem from their expense breakdowns. Not that you have to, but I check out organizations before I donate to them and personally only give to charitable charities. I don't know anything about most of the ones you listed, but a couple of them I know of as having very high administrative "costs" (I Have A Dream and Share Our Strength). I would encourage anyone participating in this, or even giving to charities in general, to look into who they donate to if they really care about where there money will actually go.

www.charitynavigator.org

GoT
Old 08-09-2005, 03:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think this is a good idea. I just wondered if anyone else noticed the absolute irony in naming this post after an essay that is in favor of eating babies? Was that intentional satire of satire?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think a lot of people aren't familiar with Swift's original and I've met a few that are but missed the point.