Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2005, 11:46 AM

Default Re: OT: Poker comes in handy @ work (no content, you\'ve been warned, e

[ QUOTE ]
I hope you explained that your starting requirements were for limit hold em, since the overwhelming majority of WPT-inspired home games are no limit...

scrub

[/ QUOTE ]

Owned. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-30-2005, 12:42 PM

Default Re: OT: Poker comes in handy @ work (no content, you\'ve been warned, etc.)

Fun post.

As an aside, I feel uncomfortable, sometimes, giving poker advice outside these forums to my non-poker-playing friends, because so often what that advice amounts to is telling them they need to be raising when they're quite likely not a favorite to win the hand.

For those who aren't thinking in terms of equity advantages and picking up outs, it is sort of counter-intuitive.

Fortunately, though, most of my non-poker-playing friends don't ask for advice much.
Old 04-30-2005, 12:51 PM

Default Re: OT: Poker comes in handy @ work (no content, you\'ve been warned, etc.)

[ QUOTE ]
When he asks for "some terms he can learn so he doesn't look like a retard" you really missed an opportunity.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 04-30-2005, 01:26 PM

You really needed to tell him to say "Do you see why?" everytime he put a chip in the pot.
Old 04-30-2005, 01:38 PM

I'd 3-bet the flop and call the rive..
oh wai...

nice [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 04-30-2005, 02:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fun post.

As an aside, I feel uncomfortable, sometimes, giving poker advice outside these forums to my non-poker-playing friends, because so often what that advice amounts to is telling them they need to be raising when they're quite likely not a favorite to win the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I wouldn't get that advanced with this guy. I'm not going to tell him to raise on a flush draw to get a free card. ("You can have a free card?!")

I didn't get into any strategy, just the absolute basics of starting hand selection & general theory. Explaining why AKs is a good hand. When it's correct to check (I didn't explain checkraising). The proper etiquette of not acting out of turn (which he got immediately -- "Oh, you mean like if you fold before it's your turn, the other guys know you're not a risk and they can bet more") and why people talk about position.

And Scrub -- yes, NL starting hands are different, but even if he plays NL, I think he's better off knowing KQs is stronger than J4o, and that 99 is preferable to Q2o. If you've seen these home games, it's just "oh what is it to me?" and they robotically call any amount preflop with any two cards; my boss will not do that now.
Old 04-30-2005, 03:04 PM

Can I be in the next Terminator movie?
Old 04-30-2005, 06:26 PM

"And some of the cutest sweaters to go with it."

You didn't even see the best ones, Evan. I've got one that's baby blue and has a bunch of stripes running randomly down the left side and looks very unbalanced. I think it's Ted Baker. I'll wear it next time I see you and maybe you can spend the night.

Sorry for continuing to hijack. Not really.

-Michael