Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2005, 08:04 AM

Default Re: 2 Big Omaha Hands 5/10

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 2 I would be more inclined to raise here than to fold as your opponent is going to be pushing back at you with a naked jack way more often than J8. Your flop bet looks like a simple continuation bet with \

[/ QUOTE ]

If hero had bet out and this was villain's raise, I agree. However villain bet out, hero raised and villain reraised. Hero's raise here represents more than a continuation of AA and villain's reraise represents more than a naked jack IMO. It's not a 100% clearcut fold but I think hero's hand is looking pretty weak at this stage.
Old 08-09-2005, 02:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
First off, I know I'm playing above my skill level here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. 5/10 PLO is a nice mix of player types, and you're correct that a few bad players is enough to make a table interesting. If you've built your stack to 4K at a 5/10 table, you're doing something right. Overestimating your opponents capabilities can be just as dangerous as underestimating them.

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 2:
I (4K) have AA88r on the button and raise into the blinds, both call (BB who covers me is very good NLHE player).

J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (105)

BB leads for 105, I make it 400, He makes it 1200...

threebet is an easy fold, right?

fim

[/ QUOTE ]

What stood out for me was that BB was a good NLHE player ...

JJ has you drawing dead to running Aces. J8 has you drawing to 3 outs. Both of these hands are certainly possible, but does a good NLHE re-pot here, or does he call and hammer you when you fire a second barrel? Either combination has little/no chance of being drawn out on, making it one of few Omaha situations to slowplay. I think a good NLHE player has this instinct, unless you have created the table image of a loose caller.

I wouldn't be surprised if he had the Jack and three big cards, one of them perhaps a suited Ace of clubs. Perhaps even a straight flush draw. Either way, he's only worried about J8, or 88, both of which he has outs to if he matches one of his big cards or straight flush.

With no other context than what you provided, I think you had him beat and drawing fairly thin, and the move is to push.

Just one opinion based on partial information. Right or wrong, it's definitely not an easy fold.
Old 08-09-2005, 06:25 PM

Yeah, the reraise definitely makes things more interesting. I would still have to be up against the tightest of tight players to fold to the second raise.
Old 08-09-2005, 06:28 PM

The OP indicated that the villain did indeed have JJ. It's a strange play but I guess if I raise a tight player on that flop and he reraises me, I'm going to assume he has 88 on that board.