Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-27-2002, 05:31 AM

Default Re: Some thoughts

I'd reccomend you participate more in the discussions in the Mid-stakes forum where there are fewer bad beats and "wavings". It's especially helpful to post when you are disagreeing with the majority of the posters. In a recent Mid-stakes post titled "Idiot Wend", I posted mostly because I thought that all the previous comments had overestimated the poster's opponents' holdings based on a dangerous looking board. (I'm surprised nobody's told me I'm a moron in that thread).

Old 12-27-2002, 10:38 AM

Okay, I'll hit on a few of these points.

1. The situation is a little different now that you mention how tight he is preflop. I was going off of a "typical" 2/4 player, where he could have a bunch of hands that you could beat. Still, it looks like you're ahead of at least half of the hands he could have preflop, and the situation is ideal (big pair in a small field), so why not put more money in the pot?

2. Would I 3-bet preflop with JJ in the same situation? Maybe half the time. If the preflop raiser is a little looser, I'd almost always 3-bet preflop with JJ here.

3. One small value to the 3-bet: If he doesn't cap preflop, you can very comfortably assume that he does not have AA or KK, and likely does not have AKs (potentially valuable information). Again, this is assuming a "typical" 2/4 player.

4. By 3-betting, you show strength, and he's less likely to get tricky for the sake of getting tricky later in the hand. Think if you 3-bet preflop, then lead the flop and turn. Now his turn raise takes on a totally different meaning.

Just a few thoughts.
Old 12-27-2002, 04:14 PM

1) I think our differences here stem from the fact that the opponent was known to me. Like you said, you are assuming a "typical" opponent and making your decisions with this frame of reference. In the case of a typical opponent, I agree with nearly everything you've said. Typical opponent + straight up poker = getting the money.

This wasn't a typical opponent and I should have been more clear about that in my post.

You brought up a good point, though. I may have tossed the best hand here. Of course, that's why I posted it. Laying down bad hands and saving a few bets can often turn a losing session into a winner. Just like calling too often will surely provide me with all the comforts of a losing session - a good night's sleep.

2) Against a typical opponent - I would three bet JJ sometimes too. Against this guy, I'd almost never 3 bet his early raise with JJ.

3) Agreed.

4) Haven't seen this guy get tricky. That doesn't mean he doesn't from time to time. I just felt his incidence of trickiness is low enough to dump two outers profitably against him. I could be wrong.

I also feel that dumping this hand against a typical opponent is very likely to be correct. I'd have to run some numbers to substantiate that, though.

Best of luck,

soda
Old 12-27-2002, 04:24 PM

Good points all... It sounds like you had a much stronger read on the guy than I had initially assumed. That said, I still would be hesitant to lay down on the turn, but I could see where it would be tempting.