Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2005, 11:18 AM

Default Re: Psychology/Mindset

I try and avoid thinking on a psychological level online because then I think about how I'm taking someone's money and it makes me sad.

That being said, there are a couple psychological 'tells' I look for...in my notes whenever I see someone constantly commenting on other people's play and going 'lolololol' and being a table captain, or showing their cards on unnecessary bluffs(i.e. in 10/15 blinds), I just write in my notes 'WPT'. This person clearly has watched too much WPT and plays like a donk; he/she knows just enough about poker to play very poorly (ie over-aggressively) and criticizes weak-passive play.

As for my own mindset, I try and stay detached emotionally to avoid tilt.

I know this goes against the 'looking inside people's souls' approach to poker but I guess at the levels I play it's not really necessary...observing betting patterns and playing styles is more than enough to tell me the range of cards my opponents have.
Old 07-18-2005, 11:22 AM

Assuming i don't recognize them, I don't really feel anything about my opponents.

I don't hate them, love them, disrespect them, respect them or anything else. I barely even realize that there are people behind the avatars (if I could see the avatars, I turn them off.)
Old 07-18-2005, 11:22 AM

I try to have a state of mind exactly the opposite of this. Hate and anger are correlated with me and can put me on tilt very easy.

I try to be peaceful and concentrate on the best action at the most appropiate time.
Old 07-18-2005, 11:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I try to have a state of mind exactly the opposite of this. Hate and anger are correlated with me and can put me on tilt very easy.

I try to be peaceful and concentrate on the best action at the most appropiate time.

[/ QUOTE ]

"Fear leads to anger...Anger leads to hate...hate leads to...suffering..."

Yoda probably played a mean 10/20 6-max
Old 07-18-2005, 11:26 AM

I actually try to get into a totally calm state and remind myself over and over to just be patient. This coincides with playing tight early and not taking unnecessary chances in the first couple levels. It also keeps me from getting too antsy if I get relatively short stacked but not desperate.

I just remind myself that eventually there will be a spot for me to make my move and / or my opponents will inevitably make their mistakes if I give them a chance.
Old 07-18-2005, 11:32 AM

Interesting post.

When I play on the Internet, I incorrectly assume that everyone knows what they are doing and give them WAAYYY too much credit. I don't know why, and this seems to be the opposite of what others think.

Then, when I play live I am amazed at what moroans these people are.

I don't know why, in my mind, the internet player is much more sophisticated than the B&M player, they are all the same monkey. I guess it has to do with being able to put a face to the player, and not having 27-72 of them to track.

I am also aware of my own mindset. I have stretches where the only drama is if I will finish 1st, 2nd, or 3rd. Then I will have other stretches where I just hope I can last until the bubble and maybe get lucky (reminds me of high school). Since I have been playing professionally the latter times have manifested themselves as an honest fear of playing, and I hate it.

Before each session I ask that I win money from people who can afford it, and lose to those who need it.
Old 07-18-2005, 12:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

When I play on the Internet, I incorrectly assume that everyone knows what they are doing and give them WAAYYY too much credit. I don't know why, and this seems to be the opposite of what others think.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've always gotten the impression that this is quite common among 2+2. The most common example is the high respect accorded to UTG limps from any player. While a solid player who understands position should be accorded respect, if you assume (correctly, I believe) that your average low-level SNG player hasn't that much of an inkling about position it doesn't really mean much.
Old 07-18-2005, 12:03 PM

I HAVE to play several SNGs at once - I don't know what it is, something about playing just 1 and then not cashing just puts me on tilt - like why did I just waste x minutes for nothing. By playing a bunch at once it allows me to enjoy the game, keeps the action going and keeps me engaged. Then when I don't cash in one or two of them I'm over it and keep a nice even keel.

My wife says I'm much nicer that way.

I don't hate anyone at the tables except the following: people who are table captains, people who are jerks, people who complain about the river, people who have stupid screen names like killer, anything with the number 69 in it, etc. I don't do anything to try to single anyone out because i believe that is the easiest way to loose all your chips to them. I just take pleasure in watching them bust.

The good doctor Alan wrote an article for card player a while back about the same thing - people that totally HATE their opponents and want to destroy them often do better, but for me when I want to get anyone I just try to hard.

As for suited's post - I agree, the first time I stepped in to a B&M to play 2/4 limit I was scared to death that I would be up against a bunch of TAGs that would take all my money by aggressive betting, etc. Instead they were a bunch of morans. The internet does make everyone look like pros until they call me with JACK HIGH!!
Old 07-18-2005, 12:18 PM

Good post - I don't *hate* my opponents; just like I don't hate them when I play sports against them.

In cards and sports (any any other game), I enter the game w/ the confidence that I am good and that I will exploit every advantage that I can see using the strengths that I have (and the weaknesses that i spot in my opponents).

I only would use hate if I lose respect for an opponent (for example, if he types racial remarks in the chat box or if he starts calling way too many bogus fouls in a pickup game, etc).
Old 07-18-2005, 12:34 PM

I try to maintain a level head while playing and that is not usually too hard, however there are points when you lose 4 or 5 coin flips in a row and thats when I start to get aggrevated. Whenever I sense that I am not in the right state of mind, I try to take a break for an hour or two and let myself forget about the previous session.

I can't see how hating your opponents would lead to better overall performance. Personally, I would think it would cloud judgement, however I can see how hating a player/table can also improve your focus and that in it self could lead ot better play.