Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2002, 11:19 PM

Default Re: Amazing

If I could smoke one a day I would never have quit. If I smoked one I would be at a pack a day the next day I think. It is amazing 3-Bet can have one.

No other tobacco product is like this for me. I can smoke a cigar and not want a cigarette or a bunch of cigars. I can bum some Copenhagen from someone and not want more. (Not that I like it much at the time) But cigarettes are different.
Old 02-11-2002, 01:05 AM

Default Congratulations on Step One. *NM*

Old 02-11-2002, 02:22 AM

Default What You Can Do with the Saved Money

I don't smoke, so I'm not sure what cigarettes cost, but as a guess, each 3 or 4 packs not purchased yield enough savings for a helluva nice fruit plate.

Besides, I understand the poker gods frequently smile upon those who give up smoking. How have you been running lately?

[img]/images/wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-11-2002, 05:49 AM

Part of the reason I can't get hooked again is that now they taste like shit. It's hard to understand how people get started, given how bad these things taste.

And don't get me started on all the cool stuff you get to cough up the next day...
Old 02-11-2002, 10:40 AM

theres like 2000 added ingredients to cigarettes. so go figure.

brad

p.s. (smoked a little as a kid so feel qualified to post in this thread [img]/images/smile.gif[/img] )

Old 02-11-2002, 11:15 AM

If I smoke a cigar I inhale.

I chewed Copenhagen for a yr. Nothing was harder to quit. Thank god Camels were there to take the edge off. I put in a chew in the morning and kept reloading until bedtime. I found spitting disgusting so I never did. I remember playing in LA and having to go into the bathroom to reload. Not like MT where you can keep your spit cup on the table.

Old 02-11-2002, 12:21 PM

Default Discipline - I\'ll have some of that please!

Thanks Tommy -

I do not smoke (apart from the odd cigar) - but

I need to break some habits as well. I need to get

some _long term discipline_ (which is pretty much like stopping a bad habit).

I have some bad habits

* like calling on the river in PL Omaha with top and bottom pair. if somebody bets in PLO they have trips or better most of the time. I have lost

lots this way.

* on-line: I can play excellent poker, often double up in less than an hour (say from $100 to $200 in PLHE and PLO) and then start to play too many hands just to loose it all.At the moment I am breaking even on-line but I could have been a big winner if I just showed some _discipline_.

I need to break these costly habits - I reckon we all started this way (I have just been playing a couple of years) but to become better

discipline (at least in online and cash games) must be one of the greatest skills of them all.

I am not talking about becoming the predictable guy who only plays AA-JJ, or becoming a calling station.

What I am after is the discipline to do the right

play when you _obviously_ have the worst of it or

the discipline to not steam after losing with AK

vs K8 (after flopping Kxx, betting $200 all-in

only to get called by K8 man who then hits his 8

on the river).

What are the trade tricks for getting the discipline? Maybe one of these self-help books

or are there in deed chapters in poker books I should read (I think I have read enough - my theoretical knowledge of the game is sound, I beat the advisors in the Turbo poker games 80%

of the time on the toughest games etc).

OK - I am off for another can of Coke.

NoDiscipline
Old 02-11-2002, 12:39 PM

Default Re: My name is a Tommy. I am a cigarette addict.

I quit 14 years ago on a bet. I was at a dance club and I told my roommate I'd quit for a year if he would go flop around on the dance floor like he was having a siezure. He did and it started a fad at that particular club. There was a large "clean spot" on the floor when he got up. I never started up again. A pack of smokes cost $1.50 back then. They're up over $4 in Washington state now. I still consider myself a smoker. I don't smoke now because I'd just have to quit again, and I don't want to go through that again.
Old 02-11-2002, 01:33 PM

Default ramblings on smoking

i agree.

i enjoy every cigarette i smoke. but i do realize that it is killing me. not only is it unhealthy in its direct effects, it really doesn't provide one with any desire at all to exercise. just to make sure you have enough food in your body that smoking doesn't make you sick. i have smoked since i was 14 years old, (im now 23) and i still smoke about a pack a day. ive cut down to ultra lights, but that was recently. until then, i smoked malboro reds, at least a pack a day. sometimes i smoked lucky strikes, just because. but i need to quit. thanks for the post tommy. now the rest of us chumps have something to read and say "if tommy can do it, i sure as hell better be able to."

i remember back in high school, when i smoked menthols. one prom night, i managed to smoke 3 packs of cigarettes that day and at the party afterwards. i was also violently ill from drinking too much southern comfort and having no idea of tolerance. the next day, i saw the movie 'schindler's list' and the guy smokes like a fiend in that movie. my mouth literally dripped with salivation every time he was smoking, and i wanted to smoke so bad, but had to wait. this is horrifying to me, and i thought id share it with you.
Old 02-11-2002, 01:47 PM

Default aside to Zeno...

so, you apparently know a bit about philosophy, historically and conceptually. tell me, do you have formal training in this field? or have you just read a whole lot? i have been out of school for a while (i didn't have the $$ to finish) and never even REALLY got started on my philosophy degree. im just curious on your thoughts about the study of philosophy and where and how to go about doing so. im looking to get back into school in the fall. im looking at going to University of Illinois at Chicago. ive heard and read good things about their program and they are relatively cheap, being a state school and all. but im not sure that that is the place to be.

just soliciting your thoughts...

baggins