Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2004, 03:15 PM

Default Re: Building a DVD collection update 2

Yeah, Thief was really, really good. Tremendously influential. You see that style copied a lot now, but Mann did it with not just incredible style but heart in that movie, because you genuinely care about the characters and really feel their plight. Supposedly based on a book by a professional thief, say the promotional materials, which I'd really love to read one day, if it's even in print.

I didn't quite warm up to Akira, but I did think Grave of the Fireflies was an incredibly good, deeply moving movie. It's about a boy in WWII Japan who has to take care of his sister on his own after his parents are killed in the war, and how he tries to try to keep the both of them alive. Not everyone likes movies that aren't just about car chases or fart jokes, so I don't recommend it to everybody, but it's very watchable and a really deep movie too. Good movie to watch with your girlfriend to show her you're really a sensitive guy too, without feeling like you want to puke, and then watch on your own later when nobody can see you, in case you tear up or something. This is one of the ones I think will be just as good 100 years from now.

I also had a really good time with Castle in the Sky and thought Kiki's Delivery Service was kind of fun, both by the guy who did Spirited Away. Spirited was far superior to the other two, though, not because they were bad at all, but just because Spirited seems like some kind of rare gift or something. I think you can watch all these movies and really enjoy them without knowing or caring a thing about anime really -- they're good according to the standards of any culture.
Old 11-29-2004, 03:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you under-rated The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly incredibly. That movie is a 5.0 all the way.

You also need to get For a Fistful of Dollars and For a Few Dollars More. Those three are all much better than Pale Rider.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you may be right about The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. The characters were really great in this film and the ending really was awesome. Looking at the rankings now I keep getting this gut feeling that The Recruit cannot be rated higher than TGTH&TU. A lot of doubt of my intitial ranking of The Recruit has crept in after reading the basically unaminous reaction of the board

I'll revisit both next update.

As for the other westerns, absolutely have been added to the lsit along with The Outlaw Josey Whales, which I have not seen either.

[ QUOTE ]
I agree with the feller who said you really should get Pulp Fiction. That thing is amazingly watchable, again and again. Get the new version that came out, with all the great extras. Siskel and Ebert did a whole show on Tarantino, which I've never seen them do on anyone else, and it was included; lots of other cool extras too.

It's a lesser film, but you might want to try Reservoir Dogs too, and most guys seem to like The Usual Suspects a lot.

I would really recommend Heat a lot, by Michael Mann. Deniro and Pacino are in it, as two sides of the same coin, one a devoted professional thief and head of a crew, and the other the copy who is chasing him down. DeNiro's acting is fantastic in it. When he pulls off a freeway to go kill someone, watch the incredible things that go on in his face and the unbelievable timing, all without him saying a word. It's some of the most convincing and spectacular acting I've ever seen. Absolutely flawless and brilliant. Plus some of the best shoot outs and general action I've ever seen. DeNiro is a god in this movie.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Usual Suspects & Resevoir Dogs are sitting in a stack of unwatched DVD's right now and Heat & Pulp Fiction are on my Columbia House wish list. No question all of them have a place in The Collection. Just a matter of time.

[ QUOTE ]
Thief, with James Caan, is also an extremely good one by this director, and very re-watchable

[/ QUOTE ]

Never heard of this one but will add it to the wish list.
Old 11-29-2004, 04:04 PM

Unforgiven I think is the best clint eastwood movie ever and actually the best western ever IMO. When clint holds a shot gun to gene hackman chest and gene says " i don't deserve to die like this " and clint says "derserves got nothing to do with it" and blows him away. oh man. LA Confidential is an awesome movie Kevin Spacey and Russel Crowe. Must have. Others Get Shorty. Hoosiers. The Natural.
Old 11-29-2004, 04:21 PM

im gonna say pulp fiction again, just because it shouldnt be missed

tombstone, animal house and memento seem like they should make it in there eventually

looks pretty good so far -- i really like braveheart that is probably my favorite movie

cheers
beer
Old 11-29-2004, 04:41 PM

Has Blade Runner been mentioned yet?

Allan
Old 11-29-2004, 06:19 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

few dollars more is my favorite of the man with no name trilogy (fistful of dollars, for a few dollars more, the good, the bad, and the ugly)