Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Assuming no one wants to raise, do you...
Fold 5 14.29%
Call 30 85.71%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-22-2005, 02:23 AM

Default Re: Who calls in this scenario?

if you think he's got any 2, you're a favorite, i think, (very narrow) but yeah, call that mess. against a strogn range of hands (any two broadway, any pair, A7s+ A9o+ i think ws the random assed range i came up with) you're like 35%. so yeah, i'd put most players firmly one any 2 cards, and call.

citanul.

GAMBOOL
Old 03-22-2005, 02:39 AM

If you really put this guy on any 2 cards, you should call here.
Old 03-22-2005, 03:43 AM

i dont know how he go to be that short stacked or what his play was before this...but unless the blinds are changing real soon, he has 3 or 4 hands before he really needs to push. that leads me to think he has some sort of hand here that he feels good about pushing with. i don't think he would be going with any 2 here (granted i didn't play with him the whole time as you did.)

another thought, he pushed with sb being a rather large big stack and in a pretty decent position to gamble and knock him out if he had any sort of decent hand. (again, this depends on how the table has been playing and player reads).

while you might be getting just about the right price to call, i feel like calling and losing really hurts you with a few other short stacks having to make moves soon.

i think i would fold here...but i'm not positive that is the best choice.
Old 03-22-2005, 03:44 AM

You have a favorable chip stack here for the bubble, and 9 BBs. There's more to it than whether you are a favorite against his range or not.

You should be a favorite against the field with this chip situation on the bubble, and that's where your overlay is.

Fold and get ready to make better decisions than everybody else for the next 20 hands.

Irieguy
Old 03-22-2005, 10:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You should be a favorite against the field with this chip situation on the bubble, and that's where your overlay is.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's precisely the way I always look at these situations. I very much like the way how you view the big picture overlay. I always find it interesting that others are willing to gamble "for the moment" with a stack that is 'workable' against the rest of the field.
Old 03-22-2005, 11:25 AM

Typically I'd say fold for that % of my chip stack, but given the chip stacks at the table I would consider a call. The reason is that even if you lose there are still 4 short stacks at the table with only 6 left. If this opponent hasn't been tight to lead me to expect a big hand, I'd probably call with the 2:1 looking to get to T1363 5 handed. Losing only puts you down to T625 which is not a deep hole given the table conditions.
Old 03-22-2005, 01:22 PM

I don't get this logic. Why would you willing give up your chip position on a coinflip here? I would much prefer to risk giving up my chip position when I am the aggressor, not the caller. Do you see why?

What about T7s is so attractive with this overlay? It is clearly a coinflip against any two random cards. It's a dog against any other conceivable hand combo besides the first group (i.e. top 2/3 of hands). Once again, if this was 4 handed, I'd take this in a heartbeat.

I think your mentalility here is to play for first, and risk not even coming in third. I don't think that is healthy for your ROI. I'd rather risk all of my chips against bigstack with AJo. At least then I can make a serious run at first place if I win.
Old 03-22-2005, 01:43 PM

I love every sentence on 2+2 that ends with "Do you see why?"
Old 03-22-2005, 01:52 PM

"Do you see why?"
Old 03-22-2005, 01:55 PM

Good points...

I think we should also take into account the fact that a)Hero has an edge abilitywise over most of the opponents and b)There's a good chance the BT isn't making this move with any two.

Playing for first is overrated when there are 4-6 people left... Unless you have a monster stack [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]