Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2005, 03:51 AM

Default Re: Will Bill Cowher be fired??

Cowher will never be fired, he will only leave the team when...(in order of likelyhood)

a) He retires
b) Hell freezes over
c) He smiles (the perma-scowl is a required part of his contract)

J
Old 01-24-2005, 05:39 AM

No.

Will
Old 01-24-2005, 06:58 AM

No way he gets fired. He takes a team predicted by everyone to be 8-8 or 9-7, goes 15-1 and then loses in the AFC championship to the reigning Super Bowl champs. I say he gets a contract extension.
Old 01-24-2005, 07:30 AM

This Rookieburger is going to be something special.

The future is very bright in Steel City.

And that's coming from a Pats fan.
Old 01-24-2005, 11:46 AM

My friend said that Cowher was trashing Roethlisberger last night after the game. Anyone know if that's true? Saying he played like a rookie, etc.
Old 01-24-2005, 12:21 PM

Default 9 - 1 NO so far.......

......10 - 1 if you include my NO vote also.

Perhaps my short title to the post was somewhat misleading....was not done intentionaly.

The reason that I posted it was that I see somewhat of a similar parallel in this particular issue to the issue that we see in poker when we talk about 'conventional vs. non-conventional' thinking & strategy.

Is there a bit of emotional rationalization going on here in this issue? I think perhaps there is......

What say you all?
Old 01-24-2005, 02:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Only if they want to win a Super Bowl. If they are cool with getting close every now and then, Cowher is the man for the job.

[/ QUOTE ]

Some emails sent to the Pittsburg Post Gazette:

OK, Mr. Rooney, unless you like winning only regular season games or having a never-to-be-broken record of losing 80 percent of your conference championship games at home, Bill Cowher must go!

Yes, we all know that Bill doesn't throw or run, but really, to call for a field goal from the 2, when trailing the defending world champions by 14 at the start of the fourth quarter, with the team having is best momentum of the game, was absurd. Even if the Steelers failed, leaving the Patriots at the 1 or 2, both the crowd and the defense would have still been going crazy, not to mention that the Steelers might actually scored. Instead, Cowher brilliantly managed to simultaneously take the crowd and the defense out of the game.

Chuck Alpern

Ben Rothlesburger should hold his head up high. He played exceptionally well. The defense let him down and Coach Cowher blew it with his wimpish decision to go for a field goal when a touchdown would have sent a shot of adrenaline into the Steelers regardless of the outcome.

Let's move on, get a new coach and use these awesome players to their fullest advantage.

Phyllis Knoll

How you doing, Steelers fans?

In big games like this, your coach is like a deer in the headlights. Big mouths Jerome Bettis, Joey Porter and Plaxico Burress don't back up their cheap talk.

The Patriots are going to the Super Bowl. Yeah, I got a feeling.

You guys really like living in past. Nice touch, bringing out the old-timers before the game. Now you can use those yellow towels to dry your tears. Fifteen and one doesn't mean much now.

Hope you didn't make reservations for Jacksonville. Ha, ha, ha.

Kevin Charles, a Patriots fan

Mr Rooney,

I appreciate your loyalty to Bill Cowher. Loyalty is one major component that is missing from most business relationships it this era.

However, How much longer must we deal with Coach Cowher's inability to win the big game? This man is 1-4 in AFC championships and 0-1 in the Super Bowl. All of these losses have come when Coach Cowher has arguably had the most talented team on the NFL at the time of each loss.

You own the team, and if you didn't terminate Cowher after his 6-10 season last year, or after his other three losses at home in the AFC championship game, I know you will not terminate him after this embarrassment.

Although you won't make the change, It's time for a change.

Ed Cole

It's heartbreaking for the Fans of the Pittsburgh Steelers once again, and again, and again. Sound sarcastic? its supposed to. When will we accomplish winning a game that matters? Our team played by the book,but bad coaching calls blew it again. Sure the officiating played its horrble part by missing all the holds against the defense(numerous times), but worst of all is the atrocious call by the coaching staff in the last quarter, by kicking a field goal. By kicking that field goal he took the drive out of the comeback in the offense. End of story.

Great Game Steelers. I love yins and I'll Love Yins next year too. Thanks for a super, nail-biting season.

Go Steelers.

Joseph Lapp
Old 01-24-2005, 02:23 PM

I hope to god they do fire him. Then perhaps the Saints will have a shot at him. In fact I bet if he were fired he'd be out of a job for about the time it takes for the electrons announcing his firing to be received in at least 10 NFL cities.
Old 01-24-2005, 03:28 PM

Let's see....

Take a team that went 6-10 last year.
Add only one solid free agent (Duce).
Throw in a rookie QB (Ben).
Have THREE new starters in the secondary.
Lose your best defensive player, maybe the best nose tackle in the league to injury (Hampton).
Have maybe the biggest name player on the defense (Bell) out for most of the year.

and go 15-1 and lose in the AFC Championship to the defending Super Bowl champs....

why would anyone even ask this question?
Old 01-24-2005, 06:30 PM

I thought kicking instead of going for it was questionable, but if he had gone for it and failed, the same people would be saying he should have kicked the field goal. I don't think pinning the Patriots on the 1 would have been worth 3 points. OTOH, the best chance to win was to go for it and score the touchdown.