Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2005, 02:17 PM

Default Re: Busted out twice on First hand of tourney: Please review my play

These are the things that happen when you play KQ to a re-raise.

Muck that sh**.
Old 08-05-2005, 02:40 PM

You are aggressive early prefop with marginal hands. I don't think this is necessarily bad for a good player at a higher buyin, but at a low buyin I think it is.

I think your opponents were quite transparent here, which means, imo, that you played the first hand fine post flop and the second one not so fine.
Old 08-05-2005, 02:41 PM

I'm guessing by the hands you posted and some of your previous posts in the forum that you usually play limit cash games. This early in the game you're really going to have to tighten up. The amount of chips you win now are going to be insignificant.

Be very careful with hands like KQ, KT, AT, AJ. There's no reason to get excited over these hands even if you see others push hard with these hands in L1.
Old 08-05-2005, 02:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You are aggressive early prefop with marginal hands. I don't think this is necessarily bad for a good player at a higher buyin, but at a low buyin I think it is.

I think your opponents were quite transparent here, which means, imo, that you played the first hand fine post flop and the second one not so fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, probably the second hand was a little tiltish. I know that I raised thinking that I could isolate a weaker hand. In reality it looks like I isolated myself and then kept pushing for no reason.

Thanks for the advice. I had the feeling that these were both bad but its easier to hear it externally than to tell it to yourself.

Greg
Old 08-05-2005, 02:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm guessing by the hands you posted and some of your previous posts in the forum that you usually play limit cash games. This early in the game you're really going to have to tighten up. The amount of chips you win now are going to be insignificant.

Be very careful with hands like KQ, KT, AT, AJ. There's no reason to get excited over these hands even if you see others push hard with these hands in L1.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I usually play limit cash games as well as a short stack strategy at NL25. Pushing these kind of hands tends to work well in both cases (although KQ is usually more of a late position hand).

Im just getting into the swing of things with the NL tourneys but I may also be a victim of positive varience. My first 4-5 NL tourneys all ended in wins and I may have been a little overconfidant. (3 firsts a second and a third)

Incidently I also figured that being the first hand people might be less likely to want to get involved. In this case I guess I was wrong.

Thanks again,
Greg
Old 08-05-2005, 02:56 PM

Hand 1:
I like getting my money in as a huge favorite. You should too. On the turn you are as big a favorite as you would be with AA agasint a small pair preflop.

The preflop min-raise is bad, don't do it. It accomplishes nothing except to make any reraises that much bigger and potentially uncallable.

Hand 2:
Well KQ pretty much sucks early in a SNG. It sucks even worse when you get raised.

Initial problems: even if you wanted to raise KQ after 2 limpers (which I wouldn't recommend) 40 is a terrible raise here since the limpers have great odds to call. If you are going to raise make it at least 60.

When you get reraised here its time to dump the hand dispite whatever pot odds you think you are getting.

OK, so I called and flopped a K.
Well I'm still not super excited about my hand. I bet and get raised ... uhoh! You bet for info and got some, then choose to ignore it.

Turn is a blank. he bets and you checkraise all in.
"I was thinking that I was ahead of everything except AA, KK (unlikely) and AK when I moved all in. I actually thought I might just induce a fold. "

What hand do you want to fold? AK or better isn't folding, and you are ahead of everythign else.

bleh.