Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2005, 03:08 PM

Default Re: \"On the Impending Decline of Saudi Oil Output\"

[ QUOTE ]
That we still rely on foreign oil, especially from Saudi Arabia, as this late date is nothing short of criminal.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand why which country we import oil from is important. If we start to import oil only from, let's day Venezula (not that they are all that stable), if Saudi Oil production declines and others don't increase output world prices will rise, including that which comes from Venezula.

[ QUOTE ]
Given the evidence of the damage to the environment being done by the buring of fossil fuels, that automobiles have been running the same way for over a hundred years now

[/ QUOTE ]

In fairness to autos, they are a lot cleaner and more efficient than they used to be. Unfortunately, the low gas prices from about 1986 to 2002 stimulated the sale of oversize vehicles. That would have been a great time to add a serious gas tax (as there is in Europe).

[ QUOTE ]
that reliance on foreign oil, particularly Saudi oil, is dangerous from both a supply and a world peace perspective, getting off the habit would seem to be job one in both the war on terror and to insure a healthy economy.

[/ QUOTE ]

We can agree to agree on the above quote.

~ Rick
Old 06-28-2005, 03:19 PM

I agree that being reliant on imported oil is the key problem. The Saudi regime is just a particularly repugnant one, being FOS, as you put it, being only one in a long list of problems.

While autos indeed may now be cleaner and more efficient, the evidence is clear that global warming is a real problem and that burning fossil fuels is a major contributor. It seems odd that the same basic method of powering automobiles that came into being in the 1890s continues to this day.

We've essentially done nothing since 1977 to wean ourself off the foreign oil habit.
Old 06-28-2005, 03:52 PM

Default LOL

[ QUOTE ]
In Europe though most people live a lot closer to work due to the size of their countries.

[/ QUOTE ]

Everyone knows that the bigger your country, the farther away from work you have to live.
Old 06-28-2005, 03:53 PM

I have been involved in these debates more times than I can count. I am also very short on time and tired of fighting trolls.

To save time I will limit my responses to people who I KNOW are reasonable. Andy Fox and Rick Nebiolo are two such people. Nothing against everyone else but I don't have time to do this stuff right now.

Rick this is an excellent source of reliable information.

http://www.peakoil.net/uhdsg/weo2004...psalaCode.html
http://www.peakoil.net

As with any site the information written varies in quality from author to author. however, the variance on this website isn't too far off from reality.

[ QUOTE ]
One of the major points of the article was that the Saudi's are often FOS.

[/ QUOTE ]

They are FOS. Hydrogen technology is very far away. Hydrogen is created via electrolysis and that requires a ton of electricity and is inefficient. Right now we extract it from natural gas but as we all know that is limited. Platinum is rare and there isn't enough to go around.
Old 06-28-2005, 03:54 PM

Default Re: LOL

You don't have to do anything but to deny that this is a common trend in the world is just more of your typical ignorence.
Old 06-28-2005, 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The reason the US uses a disspraportionate amount of the worlds oil is that we're a more advanced country then most of the rest of the world

[/ QUOTE ]

If this were the case there would be some correlation between other advanced nations. There isn't.

[ QUOTE ]
While conservation is a good thing and hydrogyn cars are a fantastic idea, there's no immediate oil shortage and there won't be in the forseable future

[/ QUOTE ]

While an education is a good thing and research is a fantastic idea, there's no immediate danger that you will aquire any and I doubt ever will in the foreseable or indeed distant future.
Old 06-28-2005, 04:02 PM

Good source of information on hydrogen

http://www-formal.stanford.edu/jmc/p.../hydrogen.html

But will cars really be able to be made effeciently using hydrogen as a fuel source?

http://archives.cnn.com/2001/TECH/sc...hydrogen.cars/
Old 06-28-2005, 04:14 PM

One thing I haven't really heard discussed is that the sleeping giant is finally awake...China.

You think a country with over 4 times our population that is just NOW hitting it's industrial revolution isn't going to impact the oil market, or construction materials (anyone pay more for a house because concrete is in high demand lately?)

High prices are on the way, regardless of renewable sources, increasing Saudi output, or domestic drilling. Get used to it.
Old 06-28-2005, 04:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
High prices are on the way, regardless of renewable sources, increasing Saudi output, or domestic drilling. Get used to it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good thing my most recent family car is a Toyota Echo [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

~ Rick
Old 06-28-2005, 04:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If this were the case there would be some correlation between other advanced nations. There isn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorrey I didn't realise the top per-capita users of oil were uncivilized countries in rural Africa please post a link to debunk my wild theory that the level of technology in a country impacts it's fuel consumption.

[ QUOTE ]
While an education is a good thing and research is a fantastic idea, there's no immediate danger that you will aquire any and I doubt ever will in the foreseable or indeed distant future.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm really growing tired of people too stupid to debate issues if you want to discuss fuel consumption fine if you want to be a dick then on the ignore list you go.