Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2004, 01:18 AM

Default Re: God this movie sucked....

I liked him in Groundhog Day.
Old 04-20-2004, 01:25 AM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand
Default Re: Lost in Translation review

I thought it was pretty good, overall. But i like 'slice of life' type of movies like this. Kind of like 'Thirteen.' Holly Hunter did a great job in that one, btw.

I thought the ending was real good the way they did it.

But there was one part i absolutely hated.

Ill put a SPOILER tag here if you dont want to know about the movie before seeing it. If so, stop here.

The part that really pisses me off, along with bugging a buddy of mine, is in a movie/tv show, it is so cliche and biased/double standard to make a guy look like an A hole and not the gal. They basically have Bills character cheat on his wife. I suppose this could be to add tension to the relationship (which it did) when the chick comes to the door. You rarely see it the other way around in a flick like this. My bud and I thought they couldve added the tension in other ways and got the point across without having him actually cheat. Just a pet peave of mine. I thought it kind of cheapened the experience a little as it's a hollywood fall back plot twist.

Anyways, i dug it as a whole.

It's one of those movies i think people will either like or care less about.

b
Old 04-20-2004, 01:35 AM

First of all, Murray was the worldiwise one, the jaded been-there-done-that middle-aged movie star. Of course he's going to be the jerk, as opposed to the young thing on her first (?) trip to Asia.

Second, it seemed to me she was the one who wanted to take the relationship horizontal and he showed no interest in it, because he had too much respect for her as a person (as opposed to the floozie he eneded up with).

Third, the movie showed respect for his character in that he got out of the limo and went to tell her what a good person she is and everything will be OK, or whatever the hell he told her at the end.

Fourth, guys are assholes. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 04-20-2004, 02:16 AM

I saw this movie also and agree with your assessment. On some things we think very much alike. I leave it to you whether this unpleasant fact is good or bad.

Overall, I enjoyed the movie and thought it was well done, not bad for a redneck from the backwoods of Oregon.

[ QUOTE ]
Fourth, guys are assholes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Part of this is necessary (or was necessary) from an evolutionary/biological standpoint. The species must perpetuate itself. Self-replication is part of our make up and genetic code.

I would like to think that he told her that he had too much love and respect for her to have sex with her - that she had a whole life in front of her - he did not want to ruin her chances for it to be an enjoyable and fulfilling one with the person she chose.

-Zeno
Old 04-20-2004, 02:31 AM

by the way bill murray definitely is the best actor in the world at playing "the jerk". just refer to kingpin!
Old 04-20-2004, 02:53 AM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

[ QUOTE ]
First of all, Murray was the worldiwise one, the jaded been-there-done-that middle-aged movie star. Of course he's going to be the jerk, as opposed to the young thing on her first (?) trip to Asia.

[/ QUOTE ]

True, but it 'always' seems to happen that way as far as making the guy look even worse. I thought she had a good character, but i didnt feel any sympathy for her being in the situation she created herself. Obviously married too young before experiencing enough of life, and to the wrong guy.

[ QUOTE ]
Second, it seemed to me she was the one who wanted to take the relationship horizontal and he showed no interest in it, because he had too much respect for her as a person (as opposed to the floozie he eneded up with).

[/ QUOTE ]

I dug how he treated her. I thought that was kinda cool.

Maybe it's because i have a problem with infidelity in a marriage/committed relationship (non marriage). It'd be nice to see it once not have to happen. Where a guy that thoughtful of this young gal, is also thoughtful of his wife enough to at least end it if he's going to cheat for whatever reason. The fact he was so good to the girl yet did something that would devastate his wife didnt really mix with the character for me.

[ QUOTE ]
Fourth, guys are assholes

[/ QUOTE ]

And women love us for it. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

b
Old 04-20-2004, 12:33 PM

Murray's character was a mixture of good and bad. He was a famous actor, but he was making $2,000,000 to do a commercial, rather than acting in a play. He was good to the young girl, but held his wife in disdain; he was disgusted every time she called him (loved his phone ring, Chopin's Fantasie-Impromptu) and when she sent him the color sample for the carpeting (?), that was pretty funny, the look on his face as they fell out of the fedex package.

But I agree that the movie was overrated. I didn't see The Girl With The Pearl Earring, I'm told Scarlett Johannson was stunning in that.
Old 04-20-2004, 12:35 PM

He definitely had my favorite hair-do in Kingpin. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]