Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2005, 03:58 PM

Default Re: flopped a boat.. now what?

It's always wonderful to flop the boat, now isn't it??

I was playing in the satelites at the Rio for the WSOP events, and had just won a pot.

Cards were dealt around, the UTG limped in, as did the person next to him, and I was still picking up my chips from the previous hand, so, when it came to me, and the blinds were not too big, so distracted, I didn't even bother to look at my cards, I thought ... what the heck, and just tossed in the needed amount, and went back to counting my chips (I was two off from the UTG position), and no one raised before the flop.

Well, the flop came A, 9, 9 with two spades.

The blinds check, as does the UTG and his neighbor, I check (still counting my chips after all from the previous pot), and the guy after me bets the pot.

It went fold, fold, fold to the button, who said raise ... and then doubled what was in the pot.

Well, the blinds fold, as does the UTG and his neighbor, and it came to me ... and now I HAVE to look.

I look down ... and find the rockets.

It was all I could do to keep from shaking.

I just happened to had stacked from my previous pot win, the exact amount, so since my hands were starting to shake, I put them flat on the felt, and waited and waited in an effort of hoping they'd stop. They didn't, so I slowly pushed that stack in (and I'm sure now due to my hesitation, the guy thought I was on a flush draw or something), and said in a small voice, call.

By now, both men left in the hand, have misread what I have ... and think I'm on a flush draw, and the guy to my left, then announces 'all in' (figuring at the very least, that *I* would fold I guess).

The guy on the button, who has more chips then the guy who went all in, but LESS chips then me (but not by much), then says ... I go all in too.

They are both now looking at me expectently ... (expecting me to fold), to which I say ... I call them both.

We all flip over our cards, and they look in stunned silence at my rockets.

One guy has Ace 9, the other guy has 8,9 suited (red, I can't remember which suit).

Sometimes ignorance (not knowing what you have before the flop) is bliss ... [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 11-09-2005, 04:37 PM

apparently i'm going against what most people wanted to do, but i checked. i figured that this way i could probably get a bet out of the pfr if he has overs and that i'll wind up getting his stack in if he has an overpair.

but then the BB woke up and bet....

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t150 (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

CO (t7670)
Button (t5713)
Hero (t4865)
BB (t3325)
UTG (t2615)
UTG+1 (t2890)
UTG+2 (t2341)
MP1 (t5775)
MP2 (t6470)
MP3 (t2074)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises to t300</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero calls t225, BB calls t150.

Flop: (t900) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets t600</font>, MP2 folds, hero?

now what?
Old 11-09-2005, 04:48 PM

I like to call here, and lead out on a turn in case he is drawing to a flush. If he has a 9 and you lead out, he is going to call you if a heart doesn't fall and he has a 9, and if a heart does fall, you can probably check and get him to bet any 9/flush he has. If he checks behind on the turn after a heart falls, I bet on the river.

I think he would fold to a check raise unless he has a 9 or you minraise and he has the heart flush draw.

I could also see minraising here and then let him try to bluff raise/ raise me when the 3rd heart falls since I wouldn't be representing the flush.

If he doesn't have a 9 or 2 hearts, he will probably fold if you minraise this flop though, its possible he is just stealing here, or he has a pocket pair thinking his hand is best, which might fold to a raise here.

Still, I think I slowplay and call then lead out on the turn.
Old 11-09-2005, 04:54 PM

sweet. that's the kind of bed time story I like to hear before I go to sleep. very sweet.
Old 11-09-2005, 05:08 PM

The problem with showing ANY aggression in this hand is that it screams "I HAVE A 9!!!" On the other hand, if someone actually has a nine... I too would have lead out the flop. (fast-playing IS the new slow-playing). Played like you did, I would check the turn too. A nice chk/raise, leaving room for a call by a flush draw.
Old 11-09-2005, 05:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The problem with showing ANY aggression in this hand is that it screams "I HAVE A 9!!!" On the other hand, if someone actually has a nine... I too would have lead out the flop. (fast-playing IS the new slow-playing). Played like you did, I would check the turn too. A nice chk/raise, leaving room for a call by a flush draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

so you're saying to call the flop?
Old 11-09-2005, 05:16 PM

there's no answer here. I think I see this problem in a number of your posts. There are any number of ways to play this hand, and the one that you chose should depend on how you play other hands. If you bet out a lot, bet out. If you cr bluff a lot, then cr. if you check call a lot, then check call. This is all about your style, and very minimally about the cards.
Old 11-09-2005, 05:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
there's no answer here. I think I see this problem in a number of your posts. There are any number of ways to play this hand, and the one that you chose should depend on how you play other hands. If you bet out a lot, bet out. If you cr bluff a lot, then cr. if you check call a lot, then check call. This is all about your style, and very minimally about the cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very good point. Schwza, I call the flop, but MLG IS correct in that it is a player specific problem. A looser, more aggressive player will have a much easier time getting this to pay off.
Old 11-09-2005, 05:33 PM

I can see calling here or min raising him. I think at this point it is almost entirely read dependent on how your opponent has played in other hands post flop. It is HU now, so he may try another volley after the turn.
Old 11-09-2005, 06:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i think that this is a very valid point in a game where i have played / will play with people a lot. here, i've played with the pfr'er a lot but not the bb, so it can't really affect my decision of what to do after the pfr'er folds.