Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2004, 07:23 PM

Default Re: Hurt Bird

[ QUOTE ]
If you don't want to kill it, you could bring it home and try to nurse it back to health.

[/ QUOTE ]

Went up to the bird with some chloroform and a big rock. Actually was going to kill it, but the bird actually moved it's other wing. It's still in pain, but now I'm thinking of actually doing this. I guess this officially makes me a tree hugging hippy. Oh well.
Old 09-01-2004, 07:30 PM

what I don't get is that with this poor bird mortally wounded outside, you're going back and forth just so you can post about it on here!

Instead of soliciting a majority opinion on what you should do, just put the damn thing out of its misery OR walk the fuk away!

sheesh.
Old 09-01-2004, 07:38 PM

Don't listen to Dominic. He is a heartless bastard. Do the right thing and try to save the poor little guy. You'll feel better about yourself.
Old 09-01-2004, 08:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't listen to Dominic. He is a heartless bastard. Do the right thing and try to save the poor little guy. You'll feel better about yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's over,
Went out there with a box, but just saw the bird coated in ants and slugs. He was a good ten feet away from where I left him so either he was killed by somebody else, or he managed to move ten feet. I don't think he moved that distance by himself so I'm guessing someone killed him. He could've been running from the ants, but I really hope that wasn't the case.

Oh well, thanks for the posts guys.
Old 09-02-2004, 03:59 AM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

i had something similar happen. there was a birdnest in a tree in front of my old gf's house. gf's family had a new, young, aggressive outdoor cat. somehow a baby bird ended up on the ground, old enough to move but it probably couldn't fly well. the cat was toying with it, poking/biting/etc but not enough to kill. the parent birds were circling feet overhead and making constant obviously distressed noises. i managed to trap the cat to get him to drop the bird. it appeared to be mortally wounded, and i killed it by dropping a huge garden rock on it. at the time i was a strict vegetarian.
Old 09-02-2004, 04:14 AM

What should you do (have done)?

Well, if you want to, and think that the bird can be saved, then go for it. bring him inside, clean him up, try to straighten out the wing so it'll heal , and all that good [censored].

If you think it's past that, and he's going to die no matter what, then kill it quick. "Not having the heart" to let it stop suffering makes no sense. Yeah it sucks to kill something that you have no hatred for, but it's for the best given the circumstances.

I have experience with this. When my sister was 9 she stepped on a nail and punctured her foot. I did the right thing, and put her out of her misery.

~D
Old 09-02-2004, 05:43 AM

"it appeared to be mortally wounded, and i killed it by dropping a huge garden rock on it. "

I did the same thing to a pigeon that had had a wing ripped off by a cat in our garden. I like animals a lot too and found it a hard thing to do. But there was no way it was coming back from that kind of injury, and it seemed in a lot of distress.
Old 09-02-2004, 01:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have experience with this. When my sister was 9 she stepped on a nail and punctured her foot. I did the right thing, and put her out of her misery.

[/ QUOTE ]

ROFLMFAO
Old 09-02-2004, 02:16 PM

" it appeared to be mortally wounded, and i killed it by dropping a huge garden rock on it. at the time i was a strict vegetarian "

so if you werent a vegetarian you would have eaten it. ick.
Old 09-02-2004, 02:19 PM

most animals kinda shut down their pain and die. thats the way of the outdoors. nature can be cruel looking but has evolved over time to let others benefit from ones demise. so i vote to let him make his own way out.
sometimes they are just stunned with a concusion and recover and fly away. killing it doesnt give it this chance. and robs the things that need a live animal to eat to survive. balance of nature.