FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Stack Size
25 BB for all rounds 11 15.49%
50 BB for all rounds 25 35.21%
25 BB for early rounds, 50 BB for playoffs 35 49.30%
Other (please specify) 0 0%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-19-2005, 12:25 AM

Default Re: How would Bruce Lee have fared in the UFC?

Chuck Liddell would have knocked him out in first round. I doubt Bruce had a good chin. One punch and he's hurt at the very least.
Old 08-19-2005, 12:27 AM

Wait a second, has anyone actually seen Bruce Lee in a real fight ? Not one that was staged in a movie ? If so, I'd like to see it.
Old 08-19-2005, 12:34 AM

I think he would've been a slightly winning fighter in teh UFC or PRIDE at his weight class. He would've been in the 155 class and I don't think that he could withstand the kicks of Masato, the grappling of Genki Sudo or BJ Penn. If Bruce moved up to some of the higher weight classes I really can't see how he'd be more then a mid card fighter. Yes he was fast, but I can't see how a Kung-Fu stylist could handle being on their back and having their arm or ankle being bent badly in a submission. If he was to go all the way up to the heavyweight, he'd just be fodder. Try to imagine him being in a fight with CroCop, it wouldn't be pretty. CroCop has broken many an eye socket with one of his punches. Bob Sapp still has vision problems from their K-1 fight where he had his eye socket badly broken from just one punch
Old 08-19-2005, 12:45 AM

Uhhh... you do realize that Bruce Lee is considered a big influence on MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) right?

He was one of the first people to throw tradition out the window and incorporate many different fighting styles together. His side kicks came from Japanese fighting arts. His fight stance is a blend of western boxing and fencing. Close combat he used hand trapping from Wing Chung. In his book Tao of Jeet Kune Do, there is extensive diagrams of Jujitsu, Aikido/Aikijitsu, wrestling, etc... He was interested in all forms of fighting; not just striking...

Also its not like Bruce Lee couldnt hit hard. He could hit as hard as professional boxers, and videos of him side kicking people or that 300lb heavy bag would amaze you...

I agree he would still be at a disadvantage on the floor because of his weight and size though...
Old 08-19-2005, 12:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Uhhh... you do realize that Bruce Lee is considered a big influence on MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) right?

He was one of the first people to throw tradition out the window and incorporate many different fighting styles together. His side kicks came from Japanese fighting arts. His fight stance is a blend of western boxing and fencing. Close combat he used hand trapping from Wing Chung. In his book Tao of Jeet Kune Do, there is extensive diagrams of Jujitsu, Aikido/Aikijitsu, wrestling, etc... He was interested in all forms of fighting; not just striking...

[/ QUOTE ]

I know that he was Antonio Inoki, Akira Maeda, Volk Han, and Masa Funaki also have been massive influences in modern MMA. I know that JeetKunDo has grappling movements in it, but outside of Maurice Smith and Mirko CroCop, no MMA fighter who was originally a striker has done well in MMA(Chuck Liddell has college wrestling experience, which is pretty high level of wrestling), and that is a fact that can't be refuted
Old 08-19-2005, 12:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I know that he was Antonio Inoki, Akira Maeda, Volk Han, and Masa Funaki also have been massive influences in modern MMA. I know that JeetKunDo has grappling movements in it, but outside of Maurice Smith and Mirko CroCop, no MMA fighter who was originally a striker has done well in MMA(Chuck Liddell has college wrestling experience, which is pretty high level of wrestling), and that is a fact that can't be refuted

[/ QUOTE ]

given BL philosophy on fighting, I don't see why he would train more in his weak areas before a fight. he was way ahead of his time with ideas he had.
Old 08-19-2005, 12:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
given BL philosophy on fighting, I don't see why he would train more in his weak areas before a fight. he was way ahead of his time with ideas he had.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is true, but there is one thing that he certianly wouldn't have been able to overcome, which was his size disadvantage. I really think that he would've only have been good in the 155 weight class, anything higher and he would have serious problems against larger competition and against olympic level wrestlers that have heavy hands when punching
Old 08-19-2005, 01:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I know that JeetKunDo has grappling movements in it, but outside of Maurice Smith and Mirko CroCop, no MMA fighter who was originally a striker has done well in MMA(Chuck Liddell has college wrestling experience, which is pretty high level of wrestling), and that is a fact that can't be refuted

[/ QUOTE ]

Vanderlei Silva?

I bet a lot of strikers who would dominate in MMA enter into professional boxing instead. Grapplers have fewer professional options, so we see a pre-dominance of grapplers in MMA.
Old 08-19-2005, 01:31 AM

If Bruce Lee would have fought with the style and training he had when he died, then he would have been owned. If he trained in modern jujitsu and striking techniques then maybe he would have stood a chance. It really depends if he could take a punch or not. You really don't see too many good fighters with his build though, I doubt he weighed over 140. The more I think about it I think he would have gotten his ass kicked no matter what.
Old 08-19-2005, 01:41 AM

Jokerthief, thats a hilarious avatar. What fight was it?