Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2005, 01:37 PM

Default Re: Sanity Check Please

I would have to respectfully disagree. Your $/hr will be hurt using this thinking. I don't feel that you can pass up significant edges early (and IMO hero has a significant edge in post flop play here vs. the range of hands he could be up against). I'm not familiar with the AA allin WSOP discussion but I wouldn't pass up such a +CEV edge there either (and I'm pretty sure there are quite a few pros who feel the same). However, you won't see me in the WSOP any time soon (pesky bankroll - not to mention skill - issues, [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] ).

Yugoslav

PS I met you at the 1998 US Open in Hawaii -- you seemed like a cool guy.
PPS If I remember correctly your sis was better then too (finishing higher than you), [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].
Old 02-11-2005, 01:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is similar to the AA question from the WSOP. If its first hand of WSOP and everyone is allin do you call with AA? Of course not, and thats why this is also a clear fold.
You have many hands to chip away at your opponents, it's always a mistake to be allin, because if your opponent get's lucky you get eliminated.

[/ QUOTE ]

This statement is correct for the WSOP. This statement is incorrect for Sit N Gos.
Old 02-11-2005, 02:08 PM

in SNG's you are not going to get away from this, I see no reason not to push once villan makes the large raise on the flop however, he still would have called however so no big deal.

I was thinking that 67 hearts was more likely to be your poison than quads on how the flop played out.

Regardless, in SNG' you are going to play this every time as people with AA, KK (especially with one heart) or a lower flush are going to make large bets here. By the time you were committed you were ahead anyway, so no one can say you played incorrectly.

It's a bad beat, plain and simple...

If you are going to play afraid of monsters when you flop an Ace high flush well then you don't have the right mind set for SNG's...
Old 02-11-2005, 02:43 PM

Cmon everyone I was joking! The guy has AJh and flop comes 543h and he asks whether he can get off the hand in a stupid pokerstars sit and go where someone could be sitting there with something like 88!
Old 02-11-2005, 02:50 PM

this is assuming you are much better player than the majority of your opponents.

i bet at least 90% of players would be right to go allin 9 handed with AA on the first hand of the WSOP
Old 02-11-2005, 02:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i bet at least 80% of players would be right to go allin 9 handed with AA on the first hand of the WSOP

[/ QUOTE ]

Willie, study your $EV more. Folding is more +$EV than calling an allin 9 handed with AA in a sit n go. Remember, sit n gos are a zero sum game. Those sitting on the sidelines increase their $EV in this situation, by a significant amount, I might add.
Old 02-11-2005, 03:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i bet at least 80% of players would be right to go allin 9 handed with AA on the first hand of the WSOP

[/ QUOTE ]

Willie, study your $EV more. Folding is more +$EV than calling an allin 9 handed with AA in a sit n go. Remember, sit n gos are a zero sum game. Those sitting on the sidelines increase their $EV in this situation, by a significant amount, I might add.

[/ QUOTE ]

We're talking about the WSOP here not a rapidly rising blind structure 3 payout 10 person STT. I definitely do not think that the amount of $EV you gain sitting on the sidelines here is anywhere close to the value of the chips you could win + future $EV prospects given the stack size you now weild. I wouldn't be surprised if the better you are the more reason you have to call with AA in this first hand of WSOP situation.

Yugoslav
Old 02-11-2005, 03:09 PM

My apologies, he did say WSOP.
Old 02-11-2005, 03:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think 80% correct is correct. It's probably closer to 55-60%. If we're talking 9 handed.
Old 02-11-2005, 03:22 PM

i understand your point

that said, i think it's closer to 90%. it could be 100%, although i don't doubt that you are right that for some players against some opposition it would be right to fold.

if you win you get 13,500
if you lose you get 0
if you fold you get 1500

what are the %? something like .33/.67?
you are going to have to take some risks to get from 1500 to 13500 anyway- there's no way around that. this is a really good risk that will probably save you from worse risks later. (against most opposition)