Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2005, 08:14 PM

Default Re: Please tell me how I should have played 88

I agree he played the hand terribly....but that doesn't change the fact that you, Mr. Spaminator, sound like a moron.
Old 07-31-2005, 08:51 PM

I 3 bet the flop because frequently what I find is that I'll take the weak lead with the first bet and my opponent'll raise simply because he thinks I was hoping that he had nothing so when he raises he assumes I'll only call or reraise with a legitimate hand. So I tried representing a real hand because I had encountered the raise so frequently I thought that a lot of them simply we're poppin me back wiht nothing. Should I play 88 like other lower pairs and simply call, hope to flop a set, and then "no set, no bet"? Hellmuth advocates raising or reraising preflop and then betting out to represent a higher pocket pair or that you connected with the flop with an A or K. What do y'all think about all of this?
Old 07-31-2005, 09:12 PM

it is pretty much agreed around here that ignoring hellmuth's ideas would be your best bet.
Old 07-31-2005, 09:19 PM

Raising this preflop is correct. There has been one limper and you likely have a big equity edge here.

Bet the flop, call the raise, fold the turn.
Old 07-31-2005, 09:46 PM

sorry, i understand not calling the bet on the turn if he does bet it, but why would i call his raise if im not gonna call his bet on fourth street? why not just cut my losses after he raises?
and whats wrong with hellmuth's advice? generally it seems sound...
Old 07-31-2005, 09:54 PM

Hellmuth's advice is too tight preflop and way way too aggressive post flop for Loose Passive games.

You can fold the flop if you want, but in this case I'd call here so I A. Don't appear Weak and B. Because there is only one overcard to my eights, plus a backdoor straight draw. So while we only have 3.5 outs now, our implied odds here give us just enough to peel and see if we could improve enough on the turn to stay in this hand.

We don't, and there's now two broadways on the board.
Old 07-31-2005, 09:56 PM

ok so how can you tweak hellmuth's advice to be basically perfect for loose passive small stakes games?
Old 07-31-2005, 10:01 PM

no tweaking involved.

Get Getting Started in Holdem by Ed Miller, Winning Low Limit Holdem 3rd edition by Lee jones, and Small Stakes Holdem by Ed Miller.

(later you can also get Holdem for Advanced Players by Sklansky and Malmuth) and Theory of Poker by Sklansky.

You know the rules of the game now. You can pretty much throw the limit-section of Hellmuth's book in the trash (although the other sections aren't completely unreasonable if you are new to that particular game)
Old 07-31-2005, 10:05 PM

Well so far I've read hellmuth's book, the winning players guide to texas holdem, Theory of Poker, Tournament Poker, Holdem for Advanced Players, Small Stakes Holdem, and Brunson's two sections on limit holdem (Vol. 1 and 2). Out of the instructional ones on holdem which is the best?
Old 07-31-2005, 10:10 PM

is the 2nd one a Ken Warren book??

SSHE is easily the best.
HEFAP is obviously quite good too.

TOP is not the same kind of 'instructional guide'.

Seriously...I don't see how anyone could possibly have read all those books and not know the answer themselves.
In the very least, it should be completely obvious why Hellmuth's advice is inferior.