Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2005, 05:49 PM

Default Re: Another question for those who are against the death penalty

If the only impact on me for commiting any heinous crime was a small surgical procedure with no side effects, what would prevent me from committing any crime I want a priori? The risk to reward ratio would be infinite.

On the other hand, life in prison or death penalty would be in my opinion equally unappealing, with life in prison perhaps more so.
Old 04-22-2005, 05:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If the only impact on me for commiting any heinous crime was a small surgical procedure with no side effects, what would prevent me from committing any crime I want a priori? The risk to reward ratio would be infinite.

On the other hand, life in prison or death penalty would be in my opinion equally unappealing, with life in prison perhaps more so.

[/ QUOTE ]

What if this procedure was completely unknown to criminals until which time they were brough into the criminal system. That is to say that at the time criminals were making the risk/reward decision the risk of inprisonment or other was very real.
Old 04-22-2005, 08:19 PM

he should be imprisoned for the duration of his life and offered either solitary confinement or manual labor as options for his daily activities.

fim

ps- your hypothetical is not only physically impossible (which is fine for a hypothetical) but it really misses the point. there is no native brain feature or gene for crimes against children and crimes in general. they, especially molestations, are intensely influenced by the childhood experiences of the perpetrator.
Old 04-22-2005, 08:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hypothetical for who against society punishing out of revenge.

A new micro brain surgery has been developed. The affects of which are those who have committed a crime and then had the surgery no longer have the impulse to committ crime with 100% certainty. There are no side affects from said surgery other than not committing crimes.

A man is convicted of rapping 10 children. He undergoes the surgery and now with 100% certainty is no longer a danger to committ this or any other crime again. Should this man be imprisioned for any length of time?

Electing to have all members of society to undergo preemptive surgery is not an option.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, he is no longer a threat to society. However, as a deterent, he probably should still "repay his debt to society" someway.
Old 04-22-2005, 08:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am against both the death penalty, and this surgery you speak of. Didn't you ever read "A Clockwork Orange?"

I also don't believe that you can eliminate 'criminal' instincts without also removing things like ambition and autonomy.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is so bad it's funny.

fim
Old 04-22-2005, 09:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ps- your hypothetical is not only physically impossible (which is fine for a hypothetical) but it really misses the point. there is no native brain feature or gene for crimes against children and crimes in general. they, especially molestations, are intensely influenced by the childhood experiences of the perpetrator.

[/ QUOTE ]

IT'S A HYPOTHETICAL QUESTION! [censored] can't 'miss' the point of his own hypothetical question.

Also, whether or not sexual predators are the product of genetics or enviornmental factors is IRRELEVANT here.
Old 04-22-2005, 09:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No, he is no longer a threat to society. However, as a deterent, he probably should still "repay his debt to society" someway.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you feel a perpetrator should 'repay his debt to society', that's not an argument in favor of deterrence, it's one in favor of retribution.
Old 04-22-2005, 10:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If you feel a perpetrator should 'repay his debt to society', that's not an argument in favor of deterrence, it's one in favor of retribution.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it's deterence. Think about it harder. If he isn't a threat, why would we need a deterent?
Old 04-22-2005, 11:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesn't miss the point because that had absolutely nothing to do with my question. I was only interested in the how much if any the concept of revenge or retribution was to people.
Old 04-22-2005, 11:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hypothetical for who against society punishing out of revenge.

A new micro brain surgery has been developed. The affects of which are those who have committed a crime and then had the surgery no longer have the impulse to committ crime with 100% certainty. There are no side affects from said surgery other than not committing crimes.

A man is convicted of rapping 10 children. He undergoes the surgery and now with 100% certainty is no longer a danger to committ this or any other crime again. Should this man be imprisioned for any length of time?

Electing to have all members of society to undergo preemptive surgery is not an option.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wacki, would I be accurate in saying that in your opinion "retribution" has no place in the judicial system?