Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2004, 03:07 PM

Default Re: Informal poll

of course, every day.
Old 11-12-2004, 03:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Here is the main situation where I get called an idiot.

I am big stack, blinds are massive. Small stack pushes 900 chips. I look down at 56 and call the extra 500 chips on top of the 400 bb. Bust his A 9 etc etc.... this I always get called an idiot for. Happens quite often, making calls purely based on pot odds and 'sucking out' when you are like a 45/55 dog.

[/ QUOTE ]

The last time for me, similar stack situation, I had AhQh and called an all-in KK. Caught both an A and the flush, and was called an "idiot chaser".

Wanted to reply that I love to chase idiots, but held my tongue.
Old 11-12-2004, 03:17 PM

this is interesting. i suspect that this strategy would work better in ring games...where you want a lot of action, but i enjoyed reading your take on this.

personally, i would probably get too sick of myself to do this, but i admire you for having the self-control to do it.
Old 11-12-2004, 03:46 PM

Absolutely, and I love it every time.

-SmileyEH
Old 11-12-2004, 03:53 PM

To give you an idea how often I get called an idiot, according to PT 32o is profitable for me!!! (based on 123 hands)

Last night one of the other players kept making comments about all-in working every time but once. When I finally got called and busted out I actually had the better hand pf, but he was all giddy because my strategy had finally been defeated "as it inevitably would". Did he not notice I was a 2-1 favorite preflop? lol
Old 11-12-2004, 04:12 PM

Several days ago it was down between three people in an SNG. One guy raised every time it got to him regardless of his hand, and since me and the third guy were more selective we slowly eroded his chip lead and finally eliminated him. As he left the table he said "you two are the weakest players ever" and "I couldn't play that bad on my worst day." Yay!

Cheers,

Swede
Old 11-12-2004, 04:34 PM

All the time! It's annoying, but amusing.

Two nights ago, I was in a $30 at Stars, 5 handed, 50/100, and in the BB with 62o. Two limpers + SB. I check, and the flop is Td6d3c. The SB checks. I haven't bluffed or semi-bluffed much at all this game, so I lead out a bet of 400. MP folds, Button calls, SB folds.

Now, button called a pot sized bet (400) with only 1200 chips remaining. I was very puzzled by this call. It screamed flush draw to me, but maybe he had a T weak kicker floating around.

Well, the turn brought another 6, and I put him all in. He called with JTo, lost, and proceeded to berate me for being a lucky idiot. I told him he should have pushed on the flop, that the mistake was all his.

It seems you get called an idiot a lot when you get caught bluffing or semi-bluffing, as if it's not part of the game.

Then, IN THE VERY NEXT SNG I'M UP AGAINST THE SAME GUY THREE HANDED.

The blinds are 200/400 (50ante) at this point, and the villain has around 3500.

I'm in the SB (t5500) with JTs. I raise it up to like 1300, he comes back over the top all-in, and I call. To me, this is automatic. I'm getting better than 2:1 on my money, and he is desperate. He had ATo, unfortunately, but I caught a J, and he was gone.

So he once again lambasted me. Man, was he ticked.
Old 11-12-2004, 04:38 PM

My most "moron" inducing play is by far when I bet the flop to pick up a side pot when someone is all-in. Often it is worth more than the main pot and I will do it with anything if I think the other live player will fold. When I end up losing to the small stack I always get a comment.

My other personal favorite is when someone is not defending their blinds often and says "keep that up (insert favorite word here) and I'll take you down". I'm pretty much guaranteed to raise their blind with anything next time around.

That said, I am not getting called a moron as often as some others in this thread. I think I have to take a look at whether I have a leak somewhere.

Dave S
Old 11-12-2004, 04:43 PM

First off, THANK YOU to everyone who regularly posts on this site. I just discovered this site about 2 months ago. Since that time, I have gone from a barely winning player to the point that I am about to move up from PP's lowest levels (I am a mere $5 player at this point) because I am so consistently in the money. I rarely used to be called an idiot or a moron, but as my play has gotten better (thanks to this site), it is now a somewhat regular occurrence. The latest was this morning, when, down to 3 players, I called an all in from the shortstack from the BB. I was already in for $400, he went all in with his last $1050. I called with 78s. He called me a moron after beating his AKo.
Old 11-12-2004, 04:48 PM

I keep player chat off, so I have no idea what people call me.