Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2005, 12:50 PM

Default Re: Trying to get better at this

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah it doesn't really matter probably. Just make sure you're making the same size bet every time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? Honestly, I don't think they notice one way or the other. Any bet over $1 seems to mean the same to them. But, you're right. Keeping it between 2/3 and pot sized is important so that if they call they are still making a mistake.
Old 10-06-2005, 12:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i agree with you, 3/4 pot and full pot do pretty much the same work but htey save 1/4 the pot everytime.. and that adds

but.. at a table thats loose preflop..
raise more..!!! they will call with their Ax.. and most of the time they will miss so another small edge that you can make a little more money..

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what I'm experimenting with. I'm trying to figure out the maximum that any given opponent will individually pay with a mediocre hand. Every little BB helps, whether won or saved.
Old 10-06-2005, 12:53 PM

i dont agree with the same size bet mantra..
you have to adjust the odds to maximize your odds, no?
Why bet half pot size when someones on a flush draw when you think they will probably call a potsize bet (read dependent i guess)
Old 10-06-2005, 12:56 PM

Are you talking about trying to save money by varying your betting patterns by betting small when you're weak and big when you're strong?
Old 10-06-2005, 12:58 PM

i think you have to fold to his raise there unless there is a previous read where he raised with junk.. but.. unless there is that read. then I don't see why you can't believe him..

however.. on the size of bets. it really is determined by the flow of the table.. if everyone is calling flops then raise more. bet more. if everyone is just playing weak tight then you gotta play your monsters a little less aggressive.
Old 10-06-2005, 12:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i dont agree with the same size bet mantra..
you have to adjust the odds to maximize your odds, no?
Why bet half pot size when someones on a flush draw when you think they will probably call a potsize bet (read dependent i guess)

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm talking about the flop, but yeah you're right.
Old 10-06-2005, 12:59 PM

not neccesssarily.. if you steal with smaller bets then when you have monsters it will disguise your bets tooo
Old 10-06-2005, 01:01 PM

I just feel better about leaving absolutely no detectable pattern to my betting.
Old 10-06-2005, 01:28 PM

If he'll call the 7x raise, then you should absolutely raise that amount. I thought it was a little on the high side and basically announcing that "I have a large, but vulnerable, pair and don't want very many of you donkeys coming along for the ride".

This is all well and good since you seem to be capable of laying this down once you get check-raised on the flop.

But, I think you'll decrease the overall variance of these types of hands if you raise slightly less pre-flop.

Since you're probably not going to get paid off by very many hands and you're the one offering the implied odds, you have the choice of keeping the pot small or playing a large pot.

Playing large pots or small pots is a matter of personal taste since you're the one who has to endure whatever variance you create. But I like to decide on the flop whether I'm going to play a big pot or fold to agression in a small one. Either way, I'm the one deciding when the pot gets big, so I'd like to know that I've retained my edge before pumping a lot of bets in.
Old 10-06-2005, 01:34 PM

I DO think you save money when betting weak when weak and big when strong. THese guys dont notice these things and WONT take advantage of it.