Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2004, 01:51 PM

Default Re: US Open Predictions

Given the layout, I don't think Tiger's going to be hitting driver much this week. That should negate his fairway's problem, a bit, but he has to control the 2 iron (something he's been hit or miss on at times).
Old 06-16-2004, 02:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Then again, he's only won forty times so far, including an incredible nine-shot Open win at Pebble Beach.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to nitpick (well, maybe a little), but Tiger's win in the Open at Pebble Beach was actually by 15 strokes. He finished at -12, Els was 2nd at +3. Can't get much more amazing than that.

[/ QUOTE ]

One of the greatest performences in sports history.
Old 06-16-2004, 02:18 PM

-12 and the next best player in the world was +3.

Amazing.
Old 06-16-2004, 02:20 PM

I watched the L.A. Open last year and Hole #10 is a short par 4. Most players lay up with a 2-iron. Tiger was out of the hunt at this point and got the biggest cheer of the day when he pulled out his driver to go for the green. (He pushed it slightly, ended up in a trap, but still made 3.)

But watching all those other guys hit 2-irons was a revelation. All of tehm were fantastic.
Old 06-16-2004, 02:25 PM

Our idea of a fantastic shot and their idea of a fantastic shot is an oh so thin line. about twenty yards thin. If i can get my three iron to go the right distance, regardless of direction I'm thrilled. If they can't get their three iron shots to dance the Moses Supposes number from Singing in the Rain, they're bummed.
Old 06-16-2004, 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Our idea of a fantastic shot and their idea of a fantastic shot is an oh so thin line. about twenty yards thin. If i can get my three iron to go the right distance, regardless of direction I'm thrilled. If they can't get their three iron shots to dance the Moses Supposes number from Singing in the Rain, they're bummed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Would it really be a thin line then? Wouldn't it be more like a gaping canyon?
Old 06-16-2004, 02:32 PM

The real gaping canyon between the best and the average is in the quality of their misses.
Old 06-16-2004, 02:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Would it really be a thin line then? Wouldn't it be more like a gaping canyon?

[/ QUOTE ]

twenty yards plus a healthy dose of sarcasm makes it a thin line.
Old 06-16-2004, 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The real gaping canyon between the best and the average is in the quality of their misses.

[/ QUOTE ]

That, and the fact that even the worst putter on tour is far better than most amateurs. I was at Sahalee for the NEC event a couple of years ago, and that was what I really thought was amazing. How well those guys could roll the ball.

Well, that, and the 300 yard drives.

Although the highlight was when I wasn't watching where I was going walking on one of the paths, and almost clobbered this woman who also was looking elsewhere. After saying sorry I realized it was Tiger's girlfriend (now fiancee). Whoops. I can vouch that she is not hard on the eyes to look at. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 06-16-2004, 03:27 PM

Default Re: Misses

Heh. I watched Payne Stewart practice one day before he won his majors. He was hitting long-mid irons. He wasn't a super long hitter. His swing was nice to watch of course, but when you saw the shots it was kinda ho-hum at first. You say, hell, I can hit a 4-iron that well. But then he does it for 20 minutes straight, hitting the ball on the exact same trajectory every time and alternating between fades and draws. Same swing, same divot, same trajectory, same distance, same, same, same. Nope, I guess I can't hit a 4-iron that good. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]