Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Steal gone bad.
Fold. 34 100.00%
Call. 0 0%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-16-2004, 11:32 AM

Default Re: Should I Join A Frat?

You absolutely should join a fraternity (Specifically, Fiji if they have one at USC - just kidding, find the one that is right for you.)

At Cornell the party scene is completely dominated by the fraternities, I have to admit that it is nice to have the party just 3 floors below the bedroom, a lot of advantages there.

The reason that I joined a fraternity however aren't even close to the reasons that I am so happy to be in one. I joined a fraternity because of (1) Parties, (1 a) Girls who like the parties, (2) Great place to live -- we have a huge house.

However, those reasons are so minor as to why I am glad that I chose to join Fiji. The guys in my fraternity are my closest friends who literally would do anything for me and that I would do anything for. I have some crazy stories about brothers going above and beyond for each other and not thinking twice about it.

There is a special bond between myself and my fraternity brothers, it comes from living together and being together so much - these guys know me better than my family does and they truely look out for me and I for them like we are a family.

At Cornell we have 44 fraternities that are quite diverse. It really is possible for everyone to find a house that is right for them, a house that is made up of guys that they respect and want to become brothers with. I would highly suggest that when you rush, that you stop by many houses and really try to find the house that is right for you.

You said: "But, on the other hand, if I were to join a frat, I would be... In a frat. And that's gay." Fraternities do have a lot of negative stereotypes that are associated with them (many of which are true) but it is important to realize that every fraternity is different, don't decide not to join a house because you have a negative oppinion of Greeks in general.

I would also suggest that when you rush, you rush with your friends (it is great to pledge with your friends) but also make sure that you don't make a pact to all join the same house. If one house suits you and another one suits your friend it would be stupid to not join the house that you should be in.

As for the reply about buying your friends -- You sir, are an idiot. Yes, there are dues for a fraternity, they pay for housing and parties, if you were to live in an appartment you would pay for housing and parties that you throw but the house wouldn't be as nice and the parties wouldn't be as good.

My father was in a fraternity back when he was in college and he is still close with 10 or so of his brothers (and their wives and children) today and I expect that the bonds that I have with my fraternity brothers will also not be for college days alone.

Join a house, you will be so happy that you did.

-Steve
Old 12-16-2004, 11:41 AM

I voted no, but I really have nothing against them. I have several friends that joined fraternities, and some of their frat brothers were total fa[/b]gs and some were cool as hell.

If you want to do it, then do it.
Old 12-16-2004, 12:01 PM

I voted yes, for a couple of reasons.

(1) It will be easier to get chicks
(2) I did NOT join a frat in college, as I thought they were gay. My younger brother did join one at the same school, and he loved it. He invited me to a few of the events, and I always had a really good time. His frat brothers treated me like a brother, so that was cool. I noticed that everyone that joins a fraternity likes it. I also notice that everyone that didn't join (In other words, has no relative experience to compare to) thinks they are gay. What does this tell you?

I would definitely go for it.

Rick Diesel
Old 12-16-2004, 12:05 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

definitely do it
Old 12-16-2004, 12:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I also notice that everyone that didn't join (In other words, has no relative experience to compare to) thinks they are gay. What does this tell you?

[/ QUOTE ] Part of it is the attitide frat brothers give to non-members. My buddies frat was like this at times. I would go over to his house and hang out with him, and some of his frat brothers wouldn't even want to talk to me, they basically gave me a "wtf are you doing here" type of attitude, but some of his other brothers from his pledge class were all cool as hell, really nice guys that like to party. One thing I def noticed about fraternities though, they seem to make some of their members very introverted. Some of them know very few people outside of their house, which is quiet odd. I hope I am not generalizing here, because I have meet some really cool people that were in frats, but I have also meet some real pricks as well.
Old 12-16-2004, 12:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
At Cornell we have 44 fraternities that are quite diverse. It really is possible for everyone to find a house that is right for them, a house that is made up of guys that they respect and want to become brothers with. I would highly suggest that when you rush, that you stop by many houses and really try to find the house that is right for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I went to Cornell here, but admittedly had very little interest in parties. I don't think frats are inherently bad, but a lot of douchebags and idiots are drawn to the Greek scene. For every frat guy I knew at Cornell who was a cool guy, there were 10 douchebags. I didn't have any problems meeting girls, making friends or finding stuff to do. A lot of people also expressed to me that they felt the greek scene was really geared towards rich kids, and some of my friends who weren't from well-off families felt uncomfortable because of this sometimes. Overall, I think that the diversity of Cornell that CornellFiji refers to is what makes joining a frat so unnecessary.
I just wanted to say that Fiji did indeed seem unlike most of the fraternities. It did not seem like a haven for rich douchebags, it just seemed like a bunch of normal dudes who liked to hang out and meet chicks.
Overall, I'd say every school is different. But if Cornell's scene is anything like other schools I would say that joining a fraternity is pretty pointless.
Old 12-16-2004, 12:56 PM

dude, you go to a school that has liquor stores that deliver near it. you don't need a frat to party.
Old 12-16-2004, 01:00 PM

I went to a small school that was dominated by frats, but didn't join one. Instead, I was on the baseball team and just went to the parties at the houses that my teammates belonged to. same chicks. same booze. no clean up. same lifelong friends.
In the end, you're going to be friends with whomever you get along with.
Old 12-16-2004, 01:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My father was in a fraternity back when he was in college and he is still close with 10 or so of his brothers (and their wives and children) today and I expect that the bonds that I have with my fraternity brothers will also not be for college days alone.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is a trait of someone who went to college, not just a frat. EVERYBODY makes their best friends at college and there are plenty of hot chicks outside the frat parties and you can usually at least respect them. Make your friends without buying into them.

Frat = lame
Old 12-16-2004, 01:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I noticed that everyone that joins a fraternity likes it. I also notice that everyone that didn't join (In other words, has no relative experience to compare to) thinks they are gay. What does this tell you?

[/ QUOTE ]

That everyone who joins a frat is gay? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]