Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2005, 03:51 AM

Default Re: Why UNC > Dook

You're right about Coach Knight - which I respect - but what is there NOT to like about Coach K?

He's a fantastic coach, he makes his players better people...and maybe I'm just missing something, but the only thing I see in his attitude is "I'm going to try to win every game I coach".

There's a definite reason Coach K is the way he is, and that's thanks in large part to learning from Bobby Knight. I'm not gonna convince you not to hate Duke, but leave Coach K out of that one...
Old 03-17-2005, 03:54 AM

What makes me dislike K is his insistence that there is something different about Duke's basketball program, compared to the rest of the nation's programs. Not that Duke has better basketball players but it's like he thinks that Duke is divinely blessed or something, or that their program has some kind of higher purpose than making good athletes better.
Old 03-17-2005, 03:56 AM

To be fair, there IS something different about Duke's program. When you win a lot, the best players come there. That's why they KEEP winning. Its a nice cycle like that.

On the other hand, my boys in Crimson and Cream have gone through some tough years with the loss of Coach Knight and basically not a lot of good since their NCAA Final loss to Maryland a few years back...but they're on the way back up with some promising frosh, and that'll just turn it up more.

Gotta love college hoop that way.
Old 03-17-2005, 04:00 AM

Coach K insists that Duke doesn't win because they get the best players. Let's be honest, Coach K thinks that he is 100% the reason why Duke is the team that they are today. After he made Duke a household name, every good player in the nation and their mothers want to go to play bball there. It's not hard to see why Duke always does well.

But compare K to Knight.

Knight went to TTech and turned a TTech team that had been shitty for god knows how long and has brought them to the tournament repeatedly. What is this his third time since coming to TTech? It's crazy. And he did the same thing in Indiana.

Bob Knight is a superior coach to Coach K.

Bob Knight can make shitty teams good. There's a kind of magic about him that I just don't see with Coach K.

Night.
Old 03-17-2005, 04:01 AM

Coach K unlike many coaches has more in mind than just winning basketball games. There's a reason Elton Brand was the first player to leave Duke before graduating, and very few have done it since, and its not because they wouldn't have been drafted highly.
Old 03-17-2005, 04:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Coach K insists that Duke doesn't win because they get the best players. Let's be honest, Coach K thinks that he is 100% the reason why Duke is the team that they are today.

[/ QUOTE ]

Look at this year's team. There's a lot of teams around the country with more talent, yet Duke still earns a #1 seed. Coincidence? I think not.
Old 03-17-2005, 04:03 AM

No, it's because they know they won't make it in the NBA.

Screw Bobby Knight, this thread is about all the great UNC players in NBA history. What school has had anywhere close to as many? See?

(Yeah, I know, I brought up BK in the first place, STFU)

NT
Old 03-17-2005, 04:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
No, it's because they know they won't make it in the NBA.

[/ QUOTE ]

This has never been a reason for any player who would get drafted to not declare for the NBA draft, and hell a lot who have no chance of being drafted.
Old 03-17-2005, 04:09 AM

Nobody mentioned he forgot Elton Brand yet??
Old 03-17-2005, 04:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Nobody mentioned he forgot Elton Brand yet??

[/ QUOTE ]

actually he's been mentioned twice in this thread