Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2005, 04:21 PM

Default Re: help me pick questions for sklansky

Correct me if I am wrong in assuming the following.

If anyone posed a challenging or interesting question anywhere on this board David would find it and answer it. And he would be sure to tell us all about his reasoning. If it was really good he might put his answer in book form and we would have to pay to get the answer. Brilliant imo btw.

So the idea here is not to come up with a great question, lots of people are trying that everyday and they fail to engage his intellect enough to get his full reasoning power focused on the question.

He is just a dude like all of us and likes simple pleasures as much as we do. Chasing girls, listening to music, making jokes at others expense, so don’t take what could be a fun relaxing chat with the guys and turn it into a test to see how great David can be when put on the spot.

The “great” questions we struggle with here in oot have no clear cut answers it is mostly just pissing and whining to make us feel better about ourselves. So it is only fair to keep it light and fun for him, as we don’t expect much of ourselves around here.

Now here a few quotes from David that I think could give us great insight as to what to ask.

[ QUOTE ]

People are still confused about me. I don't really care much what the conclusions are. Whether we are talking abortion, religion, stem cells or almost anything else. And people shouldn't care what my opinions are. My job, as I see it, is to point out faulty arguments. Period.

[/ QUOTE ]

OOT is full of these faulty arguments, pick a few and ask him to point out the faults.

[ QUOTE ]
"Sometimes it's healthy to give logic a rest and engage in a little whimsy."

Listen carefully because this is very important. Logic and whimsy are not about the same stuff. Being "logical" is not the same thing as being "sensible". It is simply a procedure that makes sure that two statements do not contradict each other. It makes no claim as to which statement is true, if either is. It simply will sometimes point out that they can't both be true using rules of deduction that YOU agree to.

Almost no one will adhere to blatantly contradictory ideas. Zero Mexicans bowl well. My friend Jose averages 220. My friend Jose is Mexican. Anyone would feel ridiculous saying those three things. However when the chain of reasoning connecting two thoughts, indisputable as it may be, is sufficiently long and/or complex, people, especially those weak in logic, will sometimes hold to both thoughts even when they are as contradictory as the Mexican example. Yet the only difference is the complexity of the proof. And again we are specifying that the rules governing the chain of reasoning are agreed to even by those who have trouble following along.

The bottom line is that how logical and how whimsical you are need not be related. If you believe in the tooth fairy you are not being illogical. Unless you also believe in other facts that will lead to (using rules of deduction that you agree to) the non existence of such tooth fairy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is the most important thing he has ever said ask him to expand the idea with examples taken from the weak logic found in many of oot’s most popular threads.

That is all I got hope it helps. I just want you to ask him wtf that chick was doing in Alobar’s garage!
Old 08-18-2005, 04:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Correct me if I am wrong in assuming the following.

If anyone posed a challenging or interesting question anywhere on this board David would find it and answer it. And he would be sure to tell us all about his reasoning.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is completely inconsistent with what I have observed.
Old 08-18-2005, 04:40 PM

"What do you have against Mexicans? Or is it just Mexican bowlers?"
Old 08-18-2005, 04:48 PM

Ask him for a trip report from the WPT main event in April.
Old 08-18-2005, 04:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"What do you have against Mexicans? Or is it just Mexican bowlers?"

[/ QUOTE ]

Do bowling alleys even take food stamps? [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 08-18-2005, 04:51 PM

F/Marry/Kill

Annie Duke
Kathy Liebert
Marsha Waggoner
Old 08-18-2005, 07:46 PM

"which stereotypes are most likely to be true?"
Old 08-19-2005, 06:10 AM

Ask him for more questions!!!!!!!