Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2005, 11:46 AM

Default Re: Whatd the dude say to piss off Jennifer Harmon?

[ QUOTE ]
Here's the paragraph in question:

[ QUOTE ]
One of my good friends is out of the tournament already. The day isn't three hours old when I run into a devastated Jennifer Harman-Traniello. She had moved all-in on the river with queens full, a powerhouse hand that could be beaten on that particular board only by an unlikely four of a kind or an even more improbable straight flush. As her opponent called, he said, "Looks like it's an early day for me, I guess I'll go do some sightseeing." And then he rolled over his unbeatable straight flush. There are few players I like as much as Jennifer. I'm glad I wasn't at that table, or I might have gotten myself another lifetime ban.

[/ QUOTE ]

I could definitely understand her reaction if that's the way she heard the comment - and I'd say that it's highly likely that really is the way she heard it. There was no reason for her to make up a different version of what he said.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course she heard it that way, that's exactly what the guy said.

Complete and total dick move on his part. If she had gone on about the 1 outer, that sucks, and is excessive. But when you are playing a huge pot in a big tourney (the biggest ever) and your opponent basically says "you got it . . . .PSYCHE!" that sucks ass.
Old 10-14-2005, 02:14 PM

why is it that any time a female player is mentioned, at some point there is always a discussion about her looks?

When a male player is talked about, I have yet to hear "oh, he needs to lose some weight," or "he's not really hot looking," or "geez, you think that he would dress better or put on some makeup at least."

We're talking about poker, not super models. Looks should be not be relevant.

Shauna
Old 10-14-2005, 03:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Agree 100%. A few years ago a notorious slowroller at one of the local Indian casions got beat to death in the parking lot with a tire iron by some guy he slowrolled his small tournament winning hand with and as far as I'm concerned good riddance.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wonder what orifice he's getting slow-rolled in, in PRISON!
Old 10-14-2005, 06:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd usually think the slow roll (which it would be) is a dick move.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Using the occassional tactic to tilt your opponents is okay with me.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you think this guy saw an opportunity to put Harmon on tilt and took it? Get real. He slow played and your first comment is the appropriate one.

Vince
Old 10-15-2005, 02:42 AM

It was a dick move if you ask me, and if I were that guy I would rather never make TV than be remembered for that.

Although I might be a little biased here cause I happen to be a pretty big Jennifer Harmon fan.
Old 10-15-2005, 02:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I just found out today that the fat guy is a friend of a very good friend of mine. Double hillarity

[/ QUOTE ]

Triple hilarity. I know a friend of that fat guy as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Quadruple hilarity. I am that fat guy!

okay.. not really. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-15-2005, 08:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I just found out today that the fat guy is a friend of a very good friend of mine. Double hillarity

[/ QUOTE ]

Triple hilarity. I know a friend of that fat guy as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Quadruple hilarity. I am that fat guy!

okay.. not really. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

okay look guys, we're talking about poker here, why do we have to describe him as the "fat guy"? looks shouldn't matter.

ps. sorry, couldnt help it. to the poster who posted this about women poker pros... I really don't think that we care how pretty she is as far as her playing goes... but nowhere at no time will I talk about a female I ran into and not describe her if she's pretty. A pretty girl at a poker table is just a big big plus.... until she takes my money.

Now, I would agree that there should be no discussion of "best woman player", since the sport is coed... it's kinda degrading.
Old 10-16-2005, 09:05 PM

Really, I think the most anyone can say here is that even the best players can have an off moment. The fact that people think it was bitchy is because it was so out of character for her. That actually speaks to her normal ability to control her emotions.

Also, just to keep this somewhat balanced, one the other circut final table she made. Bellande made a lot of comments that could have been taken the wrong way and she was joking and having fun taking shots at Bellande.

Everybody has an off day. Overall, I think her actions have been mostly professional. This time she let her emotions get the best of her.
Old 10-17-2005, 09:37 PM

The whole thing seemed way blown out of proportion.

Dude made some offhand bad 1-liner joke then quickly turned over his cards, and tried to compliment her (i have to get a hand as strong as a striaght flush to be able to get all your chips). then he apologizes. whats the big deal.
-g
Old 10-17-2005, 09:45 PM

I watched it again, and he apologized pretty profusely afterwards... oh well, I personally steam for the next maybe one hand after a badbeat.