Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2003, 04:17 PM

Default Not sure if I even played a hand like this...

Slowly out of the archives of my conciousness, certain hands I played in AC this weekend are coming to surface. I did only manage 8 hours of sleep in a 48hr period, so everything is a little in the fog.

$5/10 at the Taj Saturday Evening.

I'm on the button w/J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

4 limpers to me and I limp, SB folds and the BB checks.

Flop: 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Everyone checks, and I check it through...

Turn: A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

The BB bets out, now he was 100% capable of making a move on this pot. He liked to 'stab' a pots when check to in LP. He was also capable of playing a hand like 66 or K-high like this and of course he could have the full-house, everyone folds to me and I think and call.

River: 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

BB bets, I call.

What happened? Who won? No I didn't get the Ginza-message. Anyone just give in and fold here? Anyone have the guts to raise? Road to the superbowl goes through Foxboro, Mass. Anyone think I'm nuts for calling the turn?

Peace,
Joe Tall
Old 12-17-2003, 04:23 PM

Default Re: Not sure if I even played a hand like this...

[ QUOTE ]
What happened? Who won? No I didn't get the Ginza-message. Anyone just give in and fold here? Anyone have the guts to raise? Road to the superbowl goes through Foxboro, Mass. Anyone think I'm nuts for calling the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

Crazy? I don't know, given your description of your opponent maybe not so much.
Am I crazy for thinking of raising the Turn? He's either taking a shot at stealing in which case he could just fold, and if you get 3-bet you can safely lay it down.
The pots a little small to make the move maybe, I don't know.

I definitely call the river here though given the description of BB.
Old 12-17-2003, 04:28 PM

I don't like it... Even if he is making a move, you don't have much of anything to work with. You've got a 5:1 flush draw, and two less than stunning cards to draw for a pair or a high. Add to that the small pot, and I'm folding like a chinese laundromat.
Old 12-17-2003, 04:33 PM

I think the turn is raise or fold. You obviously drop to a 3-bet and check the river through unless you improve...which would have happened here. I would have bet the 9 on the river if your opponent just called the turn.

I don't like calling the turn with a J high flush draw on a double paired board with 6 players in the pot from the start. By raising you may get the BB to fold a K or middle pair. Calling is bad because you don't know what to do on the river and may let a worse hand (or hand that would have folded to a turn raise) take the pot as I wouldn't think you can call with J high if the river misses you.

Against good opponents your turn raise looks supect (both in light of the flop check and preflop limp from the button), but against the typical larcenous but not too deep thinking type it should work enough.
Old 12-17-2003, 04:33 PM

Lack of sleep make you passive?

I've been experimenting with raising on the button with hands like that every now and then. Jury's still out though so I like the limp obviously. On the flop I might take a stab but am in harmony with the check. On the turn I'd prefer to raise and put him to the test. You can autofold if re-raised and may move him off a hand currently ahead of yours. If you don't improve you can check it through or fire the 2nd barrel if you think he can be moved off higher overcards. On the river the call is required.
Old 12-17-2003, 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Lack of sleep make you passive?

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually felt pretty fresh as this point, it was about an hour after I woke up from my 4hr nap.

[ QUOTE ]
I've been experimenting with raising on the button with hands like that every now and then.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do it all the time live when I'm bending and twisting my image depending on what I want to get out of them and J9s on the button is a perfect hand for it. I actually got this exact idea from holms the last time we were all at Foxwoods.

[ QUOTE ]
On the flop I might take a stab but am in harmony with the check

[/ QUOTE ]

Bleh, no way. A c/r from the BB or any Ace will still call, I think. If the Ace [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] came on the flop a I would surely bet.

[ QUOTE ]
On the turn I'd prefer to raise and put him to the test. You can autofold if re-raised and may move him off a hand currently ahead of yours

[/ QUOTE ]

If he was on a bluff or has some small pocket-pair, I have plenty of cards to improve, I think calling is the best option.

Peace,
JT
Old 12-17-2003, 04:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't like it... Even if he is making a move, you don't have much of anything to work with. You've got a 5:1 flush draw, and two less than stunning cards to draw for a pair or a high.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wouldn't you bet out with 66 if you were the BB? I would. I thought my outs were clean.

[ QUOTE ]
Add to that the small pot, and I'm folding like a chinese laundromat.

[/ QUOTE ]

Light on the starch please, thank you.

Peace,
JT
Old 12-17-2003, 04:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't like calling the turn with a J high flush draw on a double paired board with 6 players in the pot from the start.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but now I'm heads up. Or is that all the more reason to think he's 'got-it'?

Peace,
JT
Old 12-17-2003, 04:52 PM

Hey JT--

The key that I see here is in your description of your opponent... possibly taking a stab at the pot. Without that description, I fold the turn most of the time, and raise once in a while.

But since you described him as you did, I'd play it the same way here and there...

Take care--
Old 12-17-2003, 04:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But since you described him as you did, I'd play it the same way here and there...

[/ QUOTE ]

I think becoming a call-station here is the best play. I couldn't think of any other way.

Will you be getting to Fox this winter? Nice to see you around again. Hope you and the fam have a great holiday.

Peace,
JT