Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-03-2004, 09:38 PM

Default Pot Limit Holdem 5-10

Here's a hand I played a couple nights ago, and I'm not sure how I feel about it. UTG straddles which he does from almost any position(Mississippi straddle rules) he has about $3K, readable player makes it 60 he has about $1200 , I call in the CO w/ 66, I have about $1800 in front, Straddler calls. I'm not really worried about anyone except the straddler, he is a tricky aggressive player that could have anything of course, but raiser is straight forward. 3 of us to the flop $195 in the pot

3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Straddler bets out $195, guy in middle folds, I call

Turn 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Now he bets out $390, I call

River pairs the 8, he checks, I check.

Talk to me

-D.J.
Old 12-03-2004, 09:45 PM

Default Re: Pot Limit Holdem 5-10

It looks like the moneys shallow enough that a raise won't put you in a terrible spot.

I'd pot the river.

Edit:

Actually I'd probably underbet the river if he's aggro tricky. I wouldn't have a problem playing this one for my stack w/only 1200 in front at the river.
Old 12-03-2004, 10:00 PM

i don't like the river check.
only way he checks a bigger boat is if he is good enough to put you on a smaller boat.
if he's that good, give him your money and leave the table, go home and cry on your pillow, and never show your face there again.

seriously though, the key to being a winning no limit player is being able to value even on scary boards. so many players are content to check down hands they could have won more money from because they don't have the nuts.
Old 12-03-2004, 10:11 PM

Good post riverboat - I gotta go with the crowd. There are certainly players against whom I muck the flop bet as well, but you had the read.

The other random thought I'd add, is that's really difficult to put someone on a turned set - It's such a great place to be when you're the beneficiary.

I make a river bet here too - Maybe a little under pot-sized.
Old 12-03-2004, 10:13 PM

he lapoker, where do you play mostly?
you ever play at the bike?
Old 12-03-2004, 10:24 PM

I've only lived out here a few months. I first played at the lovely Hollywood Park, because I was staying in Santa Monica, but now I'm exclusively a Commerce guy - Never been to the Bike or Hustler - Worth my time?
Old 12-03-2004, 11:09 PM

well i've never played at the hustler, but if you play the 10-20 at commerce you probably aren't going to be to excited by the bike.
its a good game, but doesn't play nearly as big as the commerce.
Old 12-03-2004, 11:31 PM

I think you could have played this better by either raising the turn or betting the river. his check on the river most of the time means he has a hand he wants to showdown, but not enough hand to bet. river checkraises are rare and I don't think you should fear one here, I think you should bet for value.

--turnipmonster
Old 12-03-2004, 11:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you could have played this better by either raising the turn or betting the river. his check on the river most of the time means he has a hand he wants to showdown, but not enough hand to bet. river checkraises are rare and I don't think you should fear one here, I think you should bet for value.

--turnipmonster

[/ QUOTE ]

With money not too deep like this, wouldn't you want to induce a river checkraise against a tricky aggro player by making a bet that looks like it would fold to a raise.

It's not like he'd be looking at 4k back to him or anything like that.
Old 12-04-2004, 03:47 PM

If you are the favorite on the flop it isn't by very much. If he's got J9 he's got 10 outs. The fact that you caught perfect and didn't like it enough to raise nor bet when you filled up proves that your flop call was pretty hopeless. Unless you figured to win with a bet if he checks the turn. But calling hoping he's bluffing so you can semi-steal isn't all that profitable, especially against the tricky loose aggressive folks that you are worried about.

Toss this on the flop.

- Louie