Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics

Old 12-18-2005, 04:50 PM

Default Re: Scientists Find A DNA Change That Accounts For White Skin

Yes, that's fair, but you have to be careful what physical characteristics you're talking about (don't forget all those black African pygmies), and be sure to not include any behavioral characteristics.

Instead of races scientists use clines. However you still can't make speculations about one trait based solely on the existence of another trait. Geographical cline maps for even skin color are pretty surprising. There is a correlation between nearness to the equator and skin color, but it's not absolute. For example, Eastern native Americans had lighter skin than Western Native Americans.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For example, Eastern native Americans had lighter skin than Western Native Americans.

[/ QUOTE ]
That really doesn't surprise me. Lattitude isn't the only factor affecting sun exposure. Altitude and climate are important factors. Western North America generally has drier climate (fewer cloudy days) and higher altitude than eastern North America (except for coastal regions). I know I would never have survied in Colorado with my fish-belly white northern European skin without clothing and sunscreen. I would probably have died of infected third degree sunburn. Also, I think temperature may be a factor. In cold climates, people have to wear clothing or furs to keep warm, and aren't exposing much skin to the sun. In warm climates, they can go naked, or nearly so.
Old 12-20-2005, 04:59 PM

As I stated earlier in this thread, dont compare blacks to whites, to much baggage associated with race that could easily dissway a very valid question, discussion. Instead compare blacks to asians, and with a straight face say that blacks are not athletically, physic8lly superior to Asians. If your argument is that the reason American sports are dominated by blacks is because they work harder then their white counterparts, then thats absurd and I dare anyone to suggest the opposite is true in the corporate world..you might be handed your walking papers. Go to any playground, the number of 5'9'' black guys that can dunk a basket ball compared to white, asians of that size isnt even close.

Ill do you one better, pick the top colleges in America, blind fold yourself and throw a dart at said schools...and then look at the track and field athletes and get back to me...I find it amazing that a country of over 1 billion(China) doesnt dominate the track and field world, especially considering we all know how dedicated the chinese are when pursing something of value and the Gold metal holds alot of weight over there. The problem here is that many people(with tears streaming down their cheeks, wanting, believeing that we are in fact all the same) are not believeing whats right in front of them. yes our similarities are far far greater then our differences...but there are differences.