Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-04-2004, 12:00 PM

Default Another Doomed Wannabe???

Hello everyone,

I don't know how many of you are aware of this series of articles, but you may find them interesting:

http://www.pokerpages.com/articles/p...neubauer01.htm

Alas, I suspect his little dream will end as something of a nightmare. Why?:

1) He seems to have little or no understanding of the swings inherent in poker and how long these swings can last. Whining about a bad run that lasts several hours is ridiculous!

2) He's playing tournaments when I have doubts about the size of his bankroll ($5400) for limit play, even assuming he plays limit very well. Playing tournaments seems crazy, as its introducing even more variation when he should be trying to reduce his variation because his bankroll is small.

3) I'm not convinced by his comments and asides that he plays at anything like a good, or expert level. I suspect he's a small winner, something equal to or less than 1 small bet per hour.

4) He doesn't seem to be practising game selection in a logical way. Surely the best games in Las Vegas are to be found in the evenings, when the tourists and conventioners are out in force?

What do the rest of you think? On the plus side, at least it's a fun experiment for him and its not as if he's made irreversable life changes to accomplish it.

Oh, and for the record, I don't know the individual but I'm sure he's a nice guy.

- roGER