Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-13-2002, 05:59 PM

Default Tilt= lack of understanding of the game.

Over the holiday weekend. I played at a 10-20 game at the Taj in Atlantic City. The game took place on the Wednesday night before the 4th of July. A drunk played in the game. He went to the river with EVERYTHING. Unfortunately for an acquaintance of mine he got a set of aces cracked by this drunk who rivered a flush and the fourth suit landed on the river. The drunk held an A2 the two was of spades.

Needless to say the acquaintance steamed away $600 trying to get even with that drunk.

Had my acquaintance understood that these plays are why the live ones sit down he wouldnt have steamed. He would have taken great pleasure to wait again when he had the best of it and punish the drunk.

Instead the acquaintance went on full tilt and started playing almost any two cards. Later when I ran into him into him in the lobby for a smoke break, I asked him what happened in there. He said that he figured he might get luckier than the drunk. I just shrugged my shoulders and walked away. I thought this player had more intelligence than that.

I believe Mason has written an essay or two on this topic and I agree with his philosphy that steaming or tilt comes from ignorance. I agree.

I feel delighted when my opponent draws to his 14.1 shot in a head to head pot. I don't feel as delighted when he hits it, however I understand that the probablity exists that my opponent will hit. Thats part of the game. When I have the best of it, I will win x percent of the time however y percent of the time my opponent will hit. This what keeps the live one coming back.

Not getting cards also tilts many payers. Again, I have played hours upon hours straight without even seeing paint. I understand this is part of the game and I just enjoy watching my opponents go to war. In these dead periods I try to learn more about the game. Again, this has to do with understanding the game.

John Feeney also has some great essays on steaming in his book Inside the Poker Mind.

Just my observations. I would like anyone elses ideas of what sets a player on tilt. And for the record I usually never steam or tilt [img]/images/smile.gif[/img]

Best Wishes MK