Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-10-2002, 06:17 AM

Default My name is a Tommy. I am a cigarette addict.

And simple as that, I quit. Once it was taught to me, in a way that sunk and stuck, that it's only natural to have cravings you idiot, you're an addict, and that's what addicts do, they have cravings. You're not weak. You're not even defective. Your an addict.

As simple as that, I quit. After it finally took hold in my proud skull that I can't beat cigarettes. That's not an option. No matter what I do from here out, it doesn't matter if I never smoke again or if I start back up tomorrow, I will always, no matter what, and it's completely beyond my control, like my eye color, it's not like I have an option in the matter, and this is the most freeing sensation, to simply know that I will always be a cigarette addict.

And simple as that, I quit. Two months now. My god I've been tested, in all the ways that I failed before, in the 20 or so times that I've

"tried" to quit. I had no shot then, because I was trying to do something that was impossible. I was trying to become someone who is not a cigarette addict.

Now, here's the clincher. And you have to be an addict to realize how true it is. The most beautiful revelation. Again, taught to me, recently. There are two ways to make a cigarette craving go away. One way is to smoke. The other way is to not smoke. Either way, in moments, the craving passes.

As planets go, it's a good one, Earth is.

Tommy