Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-27-2003, 12:36 AM

Default Correct to call?

I thought I'd share a hand that I just played in a $30-$60 game at the Taj. It was 8 handed and for those that don't know has a $5 ante and a $10 bring-in. I ended up winning this hand and while comments on my play are welcome I'm posting this hand to pose a question that I will ask at the end. The hand went as follows:

2d-brought it in
3c-calls
As-raises
Jh-folds
ME (Ad Qs) Ah I make it $60
Tc-calls
Ks-calls
6d-folds

The bring-in then folds and the 3c who limped called. Then the A(s) (who is a very tight player by the way) makes it $90 and I cap it with everyone calling the whole way.

4th st.: 3c catches an offsuit 8. A(s) catches a 9c. I catch the 3d. The Tc catches an offsuit 5. And the Ks an offsuit 7. The A(s) leads out and I just call along with everyone else. My thinking here is that since everyone called the $120 on 3rd., I'm not going to knock anyone out with a raise here. But I know it's possible a 5th. street raise will do the trick.

5th st. boards look as such:
(XX)3c 8d Qh
(XX)As 9c Js
ME (Ad Qs) Ah 3d Tc
(XX)Tc 5h 4h
(XX)Ks 7c 2c

The original Ace leads out and this time I raise. However, the only hand that dropped was the 3c who I'm guessing started with a three-flush. The Tc and Ks call the $120.

6th st.: I make open 3's and nobody else catches anything special. I bet out and everyone calls.

7th st.: I check and my Aces and three's are good. The player with the A(s) shows his hand, an unimproved pair of Aces.

Now for my question:

When I was raking in the pot the tight player with A(s) said something that made me think. He asked the other two players "How the hell could you guys call on 3rd. knowing that at least one if not both of us had Aces?" They gave no response, but then I thought of how a three card strait is a favorite against two of the same pair on 3rd. So who thinks they (the Tc and Ks) were right to call on third assuming they had big pairs like it looked like they did from the play of the hand?
Notice that the Tc may have been trapped in a way by wanting to play Tens against likely duplicated Aces, but not expecting the Ks to call behind him. And remember he already called $60 before the Ks came in.

All comments welcome

Mike Emery