Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-20-2003, 01:55 AM

Default Playing no limit w/ amateurs

i played in a freakish no-limit holdem game. blinds were 10 CENTS-20 CENTS, with a 10 cent ante. but, after about 6 hours, there was roughly 1000 dollars on the table, with about 10 players total..but that isn't the freakish part.

i was there from the get-go, and it all started with small $1.00 raises preflop, and the majority of the players were amateurs, calling with J6 off, 92 off, etc...the best hand naturally in a family pot USUALLY didn't win; (ie someone would river trips, catch runner runner flush.) what i'm wondering is, is it right to "jump on the bandwagon", and play nearly everything to the river to catch????? CLEARLY the answer is NO, but as we all know, hands like AA, KK, and AKsuited is much weaker when it's impossible to thin the field, even with a major preflop raise.

There is merit in what Sammy Farha says about beating amateurs, in that you need a strong hand to beat them, but how would you play a crazy game like this? is it right to mix it up with any suited/any connected, pairs, etc? or just play super tight?

i'm just confused because if you have top pair, top kicker, betting strong all the way, and getting 7 callers to the river, only to have someone reraise you all inwhen the bottom card pairs, what does a player do? play only the "complete" hands, like full houses, flushes, and straights? or should i resort to sucking out on them just like they do to everyone else?

strange game, and I won money for a while, but got cracked so many times. i raised with 99, preflop, for instance, flop comes Jd 9d 8h, turn comes a Qd, three callers to my bet, and river comes a 4d, someone bets all in with Td2s, another calls with 3s6d, and i fold my set. i was beat on the turn, but he bets all in with a Td high?? this sounds so juicy, yet it WASN'T!!! help!