Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-08-2005, 07:53 PM

Default Evolution #9

I assume most folk here (especially most atheist) believe in evolution. I think (from the little I know about it) the theory is a good one (and not incompatible with Christianity, btw).

My questions have nothing to do with religion (indirectly I guess they do, but not my main reason for asking).

1) Why have we evolved into our present state - I.e. self-awareness, state of our intellect, emotional beings - as opposed to for example, strictly intellectual beings with no emotion?

2) Are we evolving on the right path? Or somewhere along the line did we take a wrong turn and now, because we are capable of surviving for who knows how long, we can’t get on the path that might have been a better one?

3) If we took a wrong path, can we find evidence of one that could have been better for us?

4) If we took the wrong path and can’t get back on one that would have been better - would it be better for humans to become extinct, so that a more correct evolutionary path get going?

5) If evolution is a river that we cannot divert, why is that? I am thinking more in terms of intellectually diverting evolution rather than through genetics, but not excluding genetics.

6) If we can direct our own evolution, how can we?

7) What are some ideas of what we are evolving into?

If these are all basic questions regarding evolution, let me know and I will do more research myself. The little I know about it has never talked much about the intellect relative to evolution and possible self directing (as a species, not individually) evolution.