Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-12-2005, 02:59 PM

Default This guy accidentally owned me

This previously unknown villain, who was 55/10 and I kept getting heads up when I was in the big blind. He would open-limp and somehow it everyone else would fold, even though most of them were >40 vpip. One time he limped and I completed in the sb, bet the flop and BB folded. You get the idea. I found myself four times in a short period heads up out of position against this guy in an unraised pot.

In spots like this against an unknown I typically checkraise with my bigger top pairs (say T's or higher) or better and lead out with any other pair or draw or sometimes Ace high.

Postflop in other hands, I hadn't seen anything particularly noteworthy out of him postflop other than he didn't fold much.

Four straight times I bet the flop and he called. Four straight times I bet the turn, he raised, and I folded. I had (in order of occurence):

middle pair no kicker
bottom pair
bottom pair
a gutshot

He owned me. The worst part of it is that I didn't know how to adjust to this. This really got my attention. It occurred to me that an opponent could have a great deal of success against me by simply calling every time I bet the flop and raising every turn.

Against non-maniacs who love to raise the turn I often just check and call the turn and the river after betting the flop if I have a hand that I want to showdown but that I don't want to be raised with (for example middle pair, decent kicker). I didn't feel like these hands were strong enough to take this line with, however.

Two questions

1)Is there something flawed about my default approach that makes me vulnerable to this?

2)How should I have adjusted?

Thanks,
Cartman