Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-03-2005, 11:31 AM

Default Improving ones poker play with SnGs?

A friend of mine on another forum asked a pro player about how the pros feel about SnGs and how they are seen upon from the pro players.

He got the response that there is a belief that the SnGs will grow much tougher soon at higher stake SnGs, but if he wants to take poker seriously he should focus on CGs, since it requires more skill and also has potentially more money to harvest.

I've been thinking a while about SnGs vs CGs as many have. I simply love SnGs, but I still want to play the poker that requires most skill since I'm in a state where I want to improve and evolve my poker play. And this gets me a bit worried. That I'm sort of... Wasting my time with SnGs, if you know how I mean.

I recently read an article by Daniel Negreanu where he also says he's not a big fan of NL tourneys due to the all-in frenzy. He claims the difference between a bad player and a pro player becomes much lesser when it comes to NL tourney play. He also thinks it would be better if the huge events were played as PL and not NL due to this fact.

What is your thought on the subject? Do you think SnGs are a... lesser form of poker? And easier form of poker so to speak. Do you play SnGs to evolve and improve your game or are you playing them because they are good money? Or both perhaps? Do you feel you're improving your game when playing SnGs or are you sort of "stuck", just grinding in cash?

One of my thoughts is to focus much on larger tourney with 100-300 entrants, and play SnGs in between these tourney. My thought of this would be to improve my final table play with the help of SnGs. A crazy idea, or would it possibly work?

Cheers [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]