Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-09-2005, 07:22 PM

Default General STT strategy

Just wanted to post my general STT approach and see if any of the experts on this forum wanted to add something that might help.

bought into a $1 satellite and advanced to the 4th level(3 more to go to win a WSOP seat), so my current thinking is to see if this holds well in higher levels as it did at level 1,2 and 3.

Tournament structure is : top 2 get to next level, 3rd gets rebuy to same level). Site is Royal Vegas poker if that's relevant.

1. Play tight at the start - Raise and re-raise AA, KK, QQ. Raise and call raise with AK/AQ, JJ, TT. Try to limp and see a flop for set value with 22-99. limp with AJ, ATs, KQ, KJ, KTs, QJs, QTs.
2. As players continue to drop out, continue playing tight and keep an eye on my stack size relative to the blinds.
3. If I'm the big stack take very few risks. If I'm the small stack and I have 6xBB or less push with anything that might be a coinflip situation(55 and higher, AK, AQ)
4. If I survive to the final 3 and I'm the big stack, bluff pretty aggressively(of course taking flop texture into account) since the 2 smaller stacks are trying to not be the 3rd one out(this will slowly bleed them instead of me waiting for them to go out)

I've seen posts and strategies that suggest that my approach is way too tight. While this succeeded at the lower levels it might not survive or play very well at higher levels and more experienced players. Any help would be greatly appreciated.