Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-03-2005, 06:56 AM

Default OU baseball coach has to resign for using the n word

basically, he said "there's no nigger in him" about one of his black players. he also claims that he "never" uses that word and it just slipped out cause he heard it a long time ago.

in the article, the president is quoted "a good and caring man has made a terrible mistake for which he must assume responsibility."

is it a terrible mistake because he won't be able to keep his job or is it a terrible mistake because his comment did some kid of terrible damage to anyone except OUs and his reputation?

it was a terrible mistake only because everyone freaked out. if he had just held a small press conference to apologize and the university suspends him and whatnot it doesnt turn into a national story. but OU doesnt want to risk looking like it tolerates racism so they hold meetings with prominent blacks, etc and get people all worked up.

imagine being invited to one of those meetings. you go in, sit down, and the president gets up and says "brace yourselves everybody... our baseball coach... he did something terrible... he said... the "n" word!"

BTW, this is what tony gwynn said he felt about it: "Shocked. Absolutely shocked. On Saturday I heard about it but didn't know what was said. One of my players told me. In this day and age, I'm just shocked and disappointed. But it's not just in baseball. It's in everyday life. It's a shame. I'm stunned by it. My kids were asking me on Sunday morning about it and I told them about the experiences I had."

give me a break! the baseball coach is not necessarily a racist. a black coach could have made the EXACT SAME COMMENT and everyone would have understood what he meant and nobody would have cared.