Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-12-2001, 03:40 PM

Default The U.S.S.R. Never Had Problems With Terrorism

Probably the reason why the former U.S.S.R., which was widely hated on a scale comparable with the U.S.A., never suffered much if at all from attacks by terrorists (even from attacks to its interests or personnal outside the country), is because those who might have conceived such a thing knew that if they implemented their notions, it would probably be the biggest mistake they or their country ever made.

Now I am not suggesting that we nuke Afghanistan or anything like it. That would be unfair to the common people and probably counterproductive.

It just seems interesting that U.S.S.R.-haters apparently never had the inclination to carry out their worst thoughts, while U.S.A.-haters have done so on numerous occasions. I can only surmise that it was the specter of terrible retribution which kept U.S.S.R-haters at bay.

While suicide bombers obviously embrace the prospect of death, I don't think they would embrace the prospect of the complete destruction of their homeland. Again, I am not suggesting this, only observing and pointing up an interesting non-parallel in historical terms, and speculating as to why.