Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-30-2004, 03:26 PM

Default Am I being too tight near the bubble?

For background, I normally play 7-stud and 7 stud hi-lo single table tourneys, but I've been studying hold em and playing a bunch of single table, 3-table and multi's at Party over the last several months. I've won quite a few of the SNG's and three-tables, and placed in the money in several of the multi's (highest finish is one 3rd, at the only final table I've made), and I'm fairly certain that I've been playing tight aggressive at most points, and loosening up selectively when it gets short-handed. My question is that I think I'm playing incredibly weak passive when it gets close to the bubble, most particularly in the large multi's. Here's a summary of two hands from a multi I played yesterday to illustrate:

Hand 1: About 170 left (top 130 pay), BB at 800, I have about 9600 chips (average is about 7000) and limped UTG with AK suited, trying to set up a play---either PF or on the flop---against a LP caller or small raiser. Perhaps the limp was my first mistake. Everbody folds to the button, who calls, and the BB, without much thought, raises all-in with a stack that barely has me covered and is about 2x of the button's stack. I have no reads on either player, having just been moved to the table about ten hands prior. The BB's all-in smelled to me like a steal attempt, but I've got no folding equity at that point, and didn't feel like risking my entire stack even though I might be in a dominating position against a weaker A, or be in virtual coin flip against a pocket pair under KK (I just can't imagine that anybody with AA or KK would have made that big of an overbet PF). Plus, I also had to consider that the button was still in the hand. So, after thinking about it, I folded. Too weak, or correct decision?

Hand 2: This is the one that really bugs me. Down to 132, I get QQ on the button with about 4500 chips. Table chip leader, with about 22,000, is in the BB, and BB is 1500. If I push, BB will call, as she's been aggressive with her chips and certainly could be thinking that I'm just in a position steal. I think I should have pushed, but I was two out of the money, didn't feel like playing for 3+ hours for nothing, and folded. Weak tight, and too influenced by having gone all in with an AA while twelve out of the money in a similar situation the day before, only to be called by the chip leader in the BB with a 10 6 and lose to two pair on the river, or correct decision so close to the money? All comments welcome.