Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-27-2004, 07:15 PM

Default Semi-bluffing All-in on the Bubble

It's a $10+1 MTT on bugsysclub. The top 30 places are paid and at the moment, 34 players remain out of a field of 200. Blinds are 1500-3000 (but are going up on the next hand) plus a 500 ante, and I have about 40K, which is roughly average. The rest of the (full) table has between 25K and 50K. I've recently been moved here and don't have much in the way of reads.

The table is playing pretty tight, with a minimum raise usually being sufficient to take down the blinds.

I get Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in late middle position and it's folded to me. I make it 6000 in hopes of taking the blinds (My preference is to raise the pot here, but again, everyone was playing quite tight so I was raising smaller). Everyone folds except the blinds. Both of them have me covered, but just barely (i.e. they lead me by 1000 or so).

The pot now has T18,500, and I have about 37K.

Flop comes A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].

The small blind and the big blind both check to me.

I decided to push. My thinking (which may be horribly flawed, hence the post) was as follows:

(1) We're on the bubble, and everyone's been playing tight.
(2) I have 8 outs with two cards to come.
(3) The A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] might be a scare card, and even if one of the blinds has an Ace, they can't feel great about calling in this spot.
(4) No one's shown any strength.
(5) A win here and I am in healthy chip position.

On the other hand,

(6) They called, so they at least had something.
(7) The all-in may look a little too much like I want them to fold (which I do).
(8) I'm awfully close to the money myself (although I'm willing to risk busting out if it improves my final table chances).

So was this arguably clever, mildly over-aggressive, or borderline suicidal?

Results later, unless I get, like, really badly flamed. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]