Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-11-2002, 12:07 AM

Default Dealing with maniacs in omaha/8

I tried my hand at $10/$20 O/8 at Paradise for the first time this weekend mainly because after watching the game it became quite obvious a maniac was loose in it and the pots were averaging over 10BBs. This player called every flop (actually pokerstat said 98.7% so he must have folded one or two) and raised pre-flop about %50 of the time. Went to a showdown probably 75% of his/her hands with obviously a lot of trash hands that managed to get enough of the pot to keep him/her rocking. This player was the direct cause of some near $500 pots with only 5-7 players in the game and his bankroll would double up every few hands then fall back, eventually ending up about $250 from where I came in.

I tried to lay low and play a tight aggressive game but this player was pulling miracle cards left and right and I was eventually down half my buyin before making a comeback and posting a 4BB win after about 1.5 hours. I actually picked up a $200 win on one of my last hands with him with only a pair of pocket aces.

Anybody have any tips for dealing with a madman?