Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Probability
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-05-2004, 03:03 AM

Default The Car Talk Puzzler (nongambling)

The NPR radio show "Car Talk" has a semiregular "puzzler" that they present to their listeners. This week's puzzler is a probability problem:

[ QUOTE ]

One Seat Left. Is It Yours?
RAY: You're one of a hundred people standing in line to get onto an airplane that has 100 seats. There's a seat for every person who's in line, and each of you has a boarding pass for your assigned a seat. The first person to walk onto the plane drops his boarding pass and, instead of picking it up, decides, "I'm just going to sit anyplace." He takes a seat at random.
Now, every other passenger will take either his assigned seat or, if that seat is taken, that passenger will take any seat at random.
TOM: I've been on that flight!
RAY: Because you are such a kind, generous, and accommodating person, you are the last passenger to walk onto the plane. Obviously, there's going to be one seat left, because everyone else is sitting in his correct seat, or not.
The question is: What are the chances that you get to sit in your assigned seat?
TOM: A snowball's chance in hell!
RAY: I'm going make this multiple choice.
A: 1 out of 2.
B: 1 out of 10.
C: 2 out of 50.
D: 1 out of 100
E: Zero.
Think you know?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure what the prize is, if any. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] But if you want to you can submit your answer at their webpage and maybe get your name mentioned on the air:

http://www.cartalk.com/content/puzzl...440/index.html