Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-16-2004, 10:01 PM

Default a Question for the Expert (Ed Miller)

Here is a good question referring to finding hidden outs located on pages 108 and 109.

Let us assume the same exact hand and the same exact scenario but that now the river card does improve your hand which is basically any J or any card that pairs the board.

What will you do now? Raise? or Call.

Let us assume that you will only call if any of those cards that improve your hand actually do help you.

Then you're effective odds that the pot is laying you on the turn if you do decide to call this bet and one on the river is or we can approximate to (and this all depends on the range that the BB fold right now when we make the call on the turn or call and pay off all the way to the river as well.)

Our effective odds right now are in the neighborhood of
14 to 2 or simply 7 to 1 if the BB drops out immediately or as high as 8 to 1 if he simply calls now and on the river.

NOW this is assuming we are calling the river if we improve and not raising if we improve, because if we raise when we improve to any of these outs, our effective odds drop considerably and this is assuming the BB folds to the river raise but calls the turn bet to approx. 6 to 1 if the original checkraiser just calls our river raise and if he reraises our raise and we pay off, it is approx. 5.5 to 1.

These are all the effective odd answers I'm coming up with with my calculations. I hope you understanding how I'm coming up with these numbers. NOW........

5 outs with 1 card to come is 8.2 to 1. Why would I consider calling here when my odds that pot is offering me is effectively in the range from 8 to 1 and the range from 5.5 to 1.

Thanks in Advance.

*Mikey