Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2005, 01:13 PM

Default I got my trips, but on a nasty flop...

First hand of an 11, sorry no converter...

No-limit Texas Hold'em $10+$1 (real money), #1,142,848,721
El Paso Single Table Tournament, 6 Aug 2005 12:55 PM ET

Seat 1: Dr_Badhead ($1,490 in chips)
Seat 2: nizzle12 ($1,460 in chips)
Seat 3: REVELATION80 ($1,590 in chips)
Seat 4: khalidmaxie ($1,500 in chips)
Seat 5: Fesser ($1,400 in chips)
Seat 6: HERO [ 10S,10D ] ($1,500 in chips)
Seat 7: michael20055 ($1,500 in chips)
Seat 8: deerfield ($1,560 in chips)
Seat 9: jaf3rd ($1,500 in chips)
Seat 10: JoeWill2112 ($1,500 in chips)

ANTES/BLINDS
REVELATION80 posts blind ($10), khalidmaxie posts blind ($20).

PRE-FLOP
Fesser calls $20, HERO calls $20, michael20055 folds, deerfield calls $20, jaf3rd folds, JoeWill2112 calls $20, Dr_Badhead folds, nizzle12 folds, REVELATION80 calls $10, khalidmaxie checks.

FLOP [board cards 8H,10H,QD ]
REVELATION80 checks, khalidmaxie checks, Fesser bets $225, HERO???...

I have no clue what to do here. I figured I should of folded preflop being so early to act but now that I'm here...

Pushing now might be suicidal with all the limpers in, and somebody flopping their straight. Smooth calling also would be suicidal, giving people behind me good odds on their possible flush...

Fold the hand I was going for?? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 08-06-2005, 01:22 PM

Default Re: I got my trips, but on a nasty flop...

First, its the 11s, so I ascribe less certainty to the range villian is on, but still hope expect he may have a standard limping hand. Also who knows what folks have limped with behind.

Anyway, I pop this to 600 or so myself to hurt the draws, and may fold should there be a ton of action behind, but I expect you have a nice edge here and its a good time to take the pot down. Alternative I expect is to flat call and hope the board pairs so you can bust anyone who fills or has already filled their draw.

I'm never folding to the opening raise nor folding preflop unless there is significant action behind.

my .02, though I don't play the 11's.

P
Old 08-06-2005, 01:22 PM

I know seeing TT in early position is rough, but I think you have to raise with it, since otherwise you face situations exactly like that one. If you get re-raised pre-flop then you have to make a decision, but at least you're made a bet with the 5th/6th best hand in the game.

Back to the point at hand, I'd push. I don't think someone who hit their straight is gonna bet like that, though they might with the flush draw out there...it instead could be something like AhKh, or even a higher pocket pair. But you've just hit your hand hard, and until you know for sure you're behind, I'd push. Besides, even if you're behind to the straight, you've got a pretty decent re-draw.
Old 08-06-2005, 01:25 PM

Being afraid of a flopped straight here is really, really dumb. You have the third nuts, play them hard. I want to push, but I don't know if the pot is big enough. I raise to t450, I suppose, planning to get it in on the turn.

And folding preflop is really, really bad. I like limping along here, a lot.
Old 08-06-2005, 01:43 PM

Wow, and I thought I was weak-tight.

Folding TT for a limp of less than 2% of your stack would be insane. Once you flop your set you should assume you have the best hand until someone tells you otherwise.

In this case the only had you are worried about is J9.

The initial bet is really big compared to the size of the pot, which sucks for you because it really limits your options. On a less scary board I would probably smoothcall, but in this spot I think you need to raise. I'd make it 5-600 and call a push. If he has the straight then that sucks but you have plenty of outs to catch him.