Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2004, 05:12 AM

Default AKs - Call or Push? 12 players left

Stars 50+5

I have 33k in chips, blinds 1000/2000 a100

Playing 6 handed with 12 players left in.

Lots of blind stealing and very few hands see a flop.

I get AdKd in UTG+1. UTG (39k PF) raises to 8000. Both Blinds are covered at roughly 20K each.

Best course of action following the UTG raise?

Call, push or rereaise?

Ofcourse money goes up significantly at the final table 180 for 12, 255 for 9th, 3.7K for first.

Your play?
Old 12-19-2004, 05:17 AM

Default Re: AKs - Call or Push? 12 players left

I dont see where reraising is really effectively any different than calling IF you plan on bailing if UTG calls and you flop nada other than you lose more. I probably push here with it being dependant on a read of some sort of the player UTG...are they raising alot preflop?? are they playing tight?? All thingsa being equal this late I probably push the chips in.
Old 12-19-2004, 05:17 AM

I usually take an aggressive approach but in this case I think I would just smooth call and see the flop. You've got position on him and if the flop doesn't help you can get out with some chips left. And it's a large enough raise that it should chase out marginal hands behind you.
Old 12-19-2004, 05:19 AM

I would reraise all in. This puts maximum pressure on UTG if he has a middle pair. If you call and hita pair, it is unlikely you will get any action unless you are beat. He could have a weaker non pair hand and either hit the flop, or bluff at rags. Put the pressure on UTG.
Old 12-19-2004, 08:26 AM

I am a bit nervous about the fact that there are four more players yet to speak. If I Call and someone behind me Pushes in, I have to surrender don't I? (There's some old-timers' rule about not Calling All-ins with AK)

So that nudges me into the Push-in camp.

I just finished Cloutier's "Championship NL/PL HE" last week and he is not a devoted fan of BigSlik in EP. I think he would Call and wait to see the Flop, so I dunno, going All-in could be rotten. Depends if you get Called, perhaps. But for sure I would get sick if I only Called and someone moved in behind me.
Old 12-19-2004, 10:27 AM

I'd call. It's a big chunk of your stack, but if you flop an A or K against his probable PP, it's good. On a blank flop, I fold. If it's AA,KK--you're dead but odds against it.
I wouldn't push all-in til I see that flop, and I don't think fold is an option, either.
Old 12-19-2004, 10:36 AM

You've definitely got a point about the callers behind.
If there's an aggro big stack behind..you may be in trouble.
Smaller stacks would probably fold--as he says it's been super-tight up to then.
Old 12-19-2004, 10:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am a bit nervous about the fact that there are four more players yet to speak. If I Call and someone behind me Pushes in, I have to surrender don't I? (There's some old-timers' rule about not Calling All-ins with AK)

So that nudges me into the Push-in camp.

I just finished Cloutier's "Championship NL/PL HE" last week and he is not a devoted fan of BigSlik in EP. I think he would Call and wait to see the Flop, so I dunno, going All-in could be rotten. Depends if you get Called, perhaps. But for sure I would get sick if I only Called and someone moved in behind me.

[/ QUOTE ]

No wonder after reading TJ Cloutier's book you want to play it weak/tight. I can't believe all the weak/tight posts here.

Easy push. You have AKs 6-handed. The original raiser may even fold to the reraise. You could easily be a 3-1 favorite against Ax or Kx or freerolling against AKo. If you flat call and someone pushes, of course call or push over top.

Push with AK. What are you going to do, flat call and fold the 70% of the time you don't flop a pair?
Old 12-19-2004, 01:57 PM

Default Ditto...

6 handed + AKs = easy push

unless you plan to weakly fold your way as high into the money as possible.

Calling here IMO is simply terrible.
Old 12-19-2004, 05:09 PM

Well I pushed and UTG called with QQ I didn't improve and busted in 12th.

I have played this type of hand the same way before with similiar results and just afraid that I may over pushing, if that is possible, and costing myself in the long run.

Thanks for all the replys!

Hotrod