Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2004, 08:01 PM

Default Poker : The Real Deal by Phil Gordon

Has anyone read this book? Any info on subjects covered and how good it is? Thanks.
Old 09-14-2004, 08:14 PM

Default No, but have you seen the slew of books

that our favorite whining PokerBrat has released?

ye gods!
Old 09-14-2004, 08:35 PM

Default Re: No, but have you seen the slew of books

I know nothing about the author, or the book, but saw a thread on another forum where someone was talking the book up, and thought I would get some informed opinions before seeking it out.
Old 09-16-2004, 11:13 AM

Default I know, sorry I hijacked your thread

I didn't know about the book, saw Phil Hellmouth's vast library when I searched conjelco for Phil G's book.
Old 09-14-2004, 08:56 PM

Default Re: No, but have you seen the slew of books

Phil Gordon is the nice guy Internet millionaire who is seen on Celebrity Poker on Bravo. Phil Hellmuth is the poker brat.
Old 09-15-2004, 12:57 AM

Default OHHHHHHHH!!!!

Thanks for clearing that up for me!
Old 09-15-2004, 09:23 AM

Default Re: OHHHHHHHH!!!!

Every time I read a post where these people miss the most over the top Airplane-esque sarcasm, it really makes me wonder how good of poker players the people who frequent these forums really are.
Old 09-15-2004, 11:27 AM

Default you jumped the gun

the posters misinterpreted my post, not missed any sarcasm (which didn't appear until my last post by the way). So, you can't judge them yet.

I agree with your point in general... but don't waste my effort by revealing the trick TOO early. Wait to see who it reels in first, then zing 'em

I expect better from an Addict. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] If you want later memebership into the higher echelons, you need to get with the program
Old 09-15-2004, 02:06 PM

Part of the problem (at least for me) is when posters put part of the message in the subject line. I rarely read the subject lines except for the original post.
Old 09-15-2004, 07:44 PM

Presumably people miss this brillant ironic humor for the following three reasons.

1. Maybe 1 in 100 people know who Phil Hellmuth is.
2. Maybe 1 in 200 people know who Phil Gordon is.
3. Maybe 1 in 500 people know Phil Hellmuth's nickname.

It reminds of posters on a Kansas Jayhawk basketball message board who used to joke about the athletic scholarship donor fund (The Williams Fund) being named for former basketball coach Roy Williams. In fact, this is what 99 out of 100 people believe. When another poster would reveal that in fact it's not named for Roy Williams the original poster would brillantly retort something to the effect that "well everyone knows that." In fact hardly anyone knew that and the person that replied was unlucky enough to run into the 1 in 10000 who both knew this fact and would joke around about it.

If on the WPT Mike Sexton referred to Phil Gordon as the poker brat you can be rest assured that the majority of the viewership is not going to be ROTFL.

The correlation between ability to decipher humor on poker websites and poker talent has been well established in numerous academic journals, so you be certain I cold-call raises in holdem with the 78 suited in early position.

I'm sorry I'm not one of the 30 people in the entire country who would understand this over-the-top humor.

Here's a great joke for you ohgeetee, Noel Gallagher is my favorite singer. I hope you enjoyed it.