Old 09-11-2001, 10:57 AM

Default Worst day in US history?

Can anyone think of a worse day?
Old 09-11-2001, 10:58 AM

Default Re: Worst day in US history?

Not since the Civil War

Old 09-11-2001, 11:48 AM

Poker seems pretty trivial today. To all my American friends on the Forum, and especially to anyone with loved ones that may have been swept up in this senselessness, my thoughts and prayers are with you.
Old 09-11-2001, 04:02 PM

I think the numbers of dead were less than 10,000 at the battles of Gettysburg and Antietam, but I could be wrong. Had the buildings collapsed immediately, those would have been exceeded, but the 80 min lag probably saved all those on the floors below the impact and kept these numbers lower. I can't comprehend the horror of being trapped at the top. My heart is very heavy today, and I didn't even think I had one. And my thanks and admiration go out to all the fire and rescue workers running in while everyone else was running out. I don't think I ever appreciated how great these guys are.

JG
Old 09-11-2001, 12:38 PM

Default Outrageous

I’m sure we’re going to war over this and we ought to. About 5 years ago, while working at Sandia Labs, I was involved with a study on airport security that was funded by the FAA. I was part of a team developing a computer system for detecting intrusions into secured areas. The system was used as part of the study. Part of the study involved Sandia Labs performing a risk assessment regarding terrorism and hijacking. The findings showed that the main hijacking threat came from insiders. You could put all the fancy systems you wanted in jet ways, check in counters, etc. to prevent hijackers from boarding a plane but it would never prevent people who worked for the airlines from hijacking planes. I’m not sure what changed in 5 years since I don’t work at Sandia anymore but I doubt that much did. There will be a lot of changes now.
Old 09-11-2001, 01:05 PM

Default Re: Outrageous

Tom,

Who do we go to war with? This isn't Pearl Harbor.

Regards,

Rick

Old 09-11-2001, 01:09 PM

Default Re: Outrageous

If Ben Laden all countries that provide sanctuary for him. I'm sorry we were attacked today.
Old 09-11-2001, 02:11 PM

Default Re: One thing Consistent - Any Meaning?

All planes hijacked were Boeing 757/767. I am not an aviation maven nor expert, but aren't these planes so similar that a type rating pretty much works for both. Seems to me that when hijacked there is a very high probability that pilots were part of the terrorist teams. It is hard to believe three or six pilots would agree to crash into the targets they did, even under extreme duress. No way could a pilot be ordered at gunpoint to crash into the World Trade Center IMO, let alone two, let alone another into the Pentagon. Are there any countries who have been known to sponsor terrorists who have made the Boeing 757/767 part of their national fleet. Or maybe any military bomber/transport pilot could do, I don't know. Anyone have any ideas? I am just speculating based on public information and have no particular knowledge in this area. I am sure more will come out as things progress.

This is a very bad event. The loss of life will be extreme, but I fear there will also be long-lasting effects on how we go about both world affairs and national ones. Too early to judge how much though.
Old 09-11-2001, 03:04 PM

HDPM,

Likely, the pilots were killed and the suicide nutjobs crashed the planes. Bin Laden's men (i use the term very loosley) are well trained, and are capable of flying passenger aircraft.

Boy, I would not like to live in Afganistan right now. Won't be much left if Bush does what he should.

Adam.

Old 09-11-2001, 10:58 PM

actually most planes once they are airborne can be flown quite easily by anyone with moderate training. these guys did know how to fly. they knew enough certainly to turn off the transponders(these give altitude and position to the controllers radar). with some basic simulator training even a kid could do what they did(scary isnt it).